Post by BWR » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:15 am

She's A Beauty Steve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_k_VG6Syc

Ahh, the good old days!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: Boat in a box - the Shu3

Post by Shu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:07 pm

It has been awhile: I was correcting a problem with the dagger board case, and generally goofing off. I will post photos of the dagger board case in the future.
Once I had the boat upright, the freeboard at the bow looked too high. I was expecting it to be higher, since I had the same freeboard from the DWL as the Shu2, but with less rocker in the bow, the Shu3 has a considerably deeper forefoot. But this was just too much. Taking total bow depth measurements from the shear to the knuckle on the Shu2 and confirming with a measurement of Cameron Pucky's B6, I realized I had a couple inches more windage, and I was giving up a couple inches of forestay length. So, back to the computer, I drew a new fair shear curve 1.5 inches lower at the bow, and measured the offsets from the old shear. I Transferred these to the boat, and ripped out a couple new shear clamp stringers for the front half of the boat. I cut a long scarf joint onto each shear clamp, which was not trivial. Since the new shear has greater curvature than the old one, the scarf cut ends up having a hollow, or concave taper.
Attachments
IMG_4258.JPG
First I notched out the bow so I could have easy access to the joint between the stem and the new shear clamp. This is actually a later photo with the shear clamp being glued in place.
IMG_4254.JPG
The shear clamp wet out with liquid epoxy. This keeps the wood from sucking the thickened epoxy glue out of the joint as it cures.
IMG_4255.JPG
The concave scarf joint
IMG_4257.JPG
The new shear clamp clamped in place
IMG_4261.JPG
I used a full length backing stringer to apply more uniform clamping pressure, and to help maintain a fair curve while the epoxy glue set up.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:19 pm

With the port side done, I did the same for the starboard side.
Attachments
IMG_4267.JPG
This one's for Terry.
IMG_4268.JPG
Detail of the starboard side bow area.
IMG_4271.JPG
With the clamps removed, you can see the new port side shear relative to the old one.
IMG_4270.JPG
The long scarf joint on the port side.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:31 pm

While the starboard side cures, I cut off the excess with a Japanese saw. An electric saber saw would have been quicker, but I had much more control with the Japanese saw. Like a full-keeled boat the long-chord of the Japanese saw has much more directional stability. Next step is too add a little extra to the shear clamp aft to maintain a fair curve. Surprisingly enough, it will only be about 1/8" higher at the greatest. Of course the depth of the hull at midships is controlled by the rule, so no change there.
Attachments
IMG_4274.JPG
Sawing off the excess shear with the Japanese saw.
IMG_4277.JPG
Following along the top edge of the new shear clamp.
IMG_4278.JPG
Here's the piece I cut off. In addition to reducing windage, I've removed a few ounces from the boat in a critical location.
IMG_4283.JPG
Finished off with a plane and long sanding block, the new shear profile looks pretty good I think.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Another view of the new shear profile
Attachments
IMG_4284.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 am

Hmm, that's the way I write software and build small wood projects, hadn't thought of changing the design as you when building a boat! :D
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Dicko

Post by Dicko » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 am

I like reading these type of threads. Keep up the great work.