Boat in a box - the Shu3

Moderators: Shu, rand

Pirate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Boat in a box - the Shu3

Post by Pirate » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:29 pm

You have carried the chine high and all the way forward v Shu2. Waterlines forward seem more blunt than on Shu2, looks like there is a little higher PC forward of the beam too?

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Pirate,
I think there's some severe foreshortening going on in these renderings. The waterline entry angles should be similar to the shu2. The waterlines are narrower at midships though, so maybe that has something to do with the appearance.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Perhaps I should explain further.
The sections forward are rounder and fuller than the shu2 or B5. However, by reducing the rocker to where it is nearly straight, I'm able to carry the lower water lines all the way to the stem, keeping their entry angles relatively fine.
The sections are of similar fullness once you get midway up the boat (near the chine).
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Here are a couple shots of the strongback frame, upon which I will build the boat. It's made from 2x8 lumber. My Dad said white fir tends to be more dimensionally stable, and less prone to warping and twisting than douglas fir, so that is what he made this frame out of when we started building the Shu1 several years ago.

A very tight centerline string will be used to line up the frames, with the waterline placed 20" above it. After adjusting the legs so the strongback was level in both directions, I screwed the legs to the strongback, and marked the leg locations on the floor with a Sharpie. Floors are generally not level or flat, so keeping the legs at the marked locations will ensure the strongback remains level.

After this I marked the locations of the individual frames on the centerline string, subtracting 1/2" from the measurements to account for the stem capping I will add after the skin is complete. Checking that the distances from the front centerline to each side of the strongback were the same, I transferred the frame locations to each side of the strongback. This ensures that the frames will be at right-angles to the centerline.

On the frames themselves, I drew centerlines and waterlines, which will allow me to align and level each frame. This time I saved time by incorporating notches at the waterline in each frame in the computer files sent to the CNC shop, so finding and marking the waterlines was easy.

Building is now officially underway, with the first frame attached and braced to the strong back. Sorry, no photos of this yet.
-Steve
Attachments
IMG_2938.JPG
Centerline and waterline drawn onto a frame. Note the waterline index notches that were CNC'd onto the frame
IMG_2930.JPG
Leveling the strongback frame. Note the centerline string
IMG_2932.JPG
Leveling the strongback frame athwartships
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Here are the first two frames. The second frame has temporary pieces of wood attached to hold the sheer clamp. It is a temporary frame to help hold the shape as the stringers and skin are added to the boat.
Attachments
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG
The second frame is a temporary frame. It would have been easier to extend the wood pieces that hold the sheer clamp so they could be fastened directly to the framework. However, I'm re-using these from the Shu2, and I had sawn them off when the Shu2 was upright.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 pm

More Frames.
At this point I have Frames A, Temp, B, C, Temp, and D, up. E, F, Transom and Stem to go. The temporary frame between C and D is there to make sure the minimum "depth of floor" measurement is met.
Attachments
IMG_2940.JPG
Frames A, B, Temp, C, and Temp
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2944.JPG
The "rise of floor" measurement is at the chine on this boat, so no need to add bits of wood to hold the sheer clamp for this temporary frame
IMG_2949.JPG
Frame D. All the clamps will be replaced by screws to make sure nothing slips.
IMG_2946.JPG
If you squint, it sort of looks like a boat
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Chris Johnson

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Sort of looks like a boat, but seems like there'll be a bit of drag from all those flat surfaces. Have you considered fairing them out a bit? Maybe by adding some thin plywood to span the gaps between them? :)

It's looking great!

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:31 am

Until I post some more progress photos, here are some renderings that compare the Shu2 to the Shu3. The turqouise boat is the Shu2 and the yellow boat is the Shu3. Can you tell any difference? It would help if the perspective views were identical, but they're not.
Attachments
D10render1.jpg
D8render.JPG
D10render4.jpg
D8render2.JPG
D10render2.jpg
D10render2.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
D8render1.JPG
D8render1.JPG (5.61 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

give
Boat Number: not sure

Post by give » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 am

shu looks awesome cant wait to see the process of the build!

BBSCFaithfull

Post by BBSCFaithfull » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am

Looks Great,

In answer to your question. Assuming S3 is the green rendering? Looks like a shorter bow with a fuller hull section at the front.

Possibly wider and flatter at the back?

Best,
Alex
Upright not upside down!

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Alex,
The Shu2 is the green or turqoise rendering. The Shu3 is the yellow one. It goes to show how little you can tell about the shape from a rendering. If I can figure it out, I'll try to post a wire-frame view. That should be more telling.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Here are some more progress photos.
With the temporary frames properly positioned and fully braced, I can now cut the slot all the way through. This allows me to keep the girder unslotted through these temporary locations.
With the girders dry-fitted in place it's not so hard to imagine that this is a boat. Now, only the transom remains to be set up.
Attachments
IMG_2955.JPG
slot cut all the way through for the forward temporary frame.
IMG_2957.JPG
slot cut all the way through for the midship temporary frame.
IMG_2962.JPG
Is it a 12' skiff with a 3' long rudder gantry, or is it a 14 with out its transom?
IMG_2963.JPG
This photo shows how the forward sections are full (i.e. rounded), but the entry angle is small. Note the almost flat rocker.
IMG_2965.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:32 am

If you look carefully at the photos in the previous post, you can see that frames A, temp, B, C, Temp, and D are mounted with the aft face of the frame at the specified distance from the stem. Frames E, F, and (eventually) the transom are mounted with the forward face at the specified distance aft. This acounts for the increase or decrease in beam moving aft, and allows for proper beveling of the frame edges to accomodate the hull skin.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm

The transom is now up. It's not a 12' skiff after all.
Attachments
IMG_2984.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Paul Galvez

Post by Paul Galvez » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 am

Looking good Steve. Aggressive minimal rocker! You will most likely be loading your rudder earlier and harder than others but it could be a potential rocket if you can pull off the bearaways successfully in the big stuff. My Aussie boat was minimal and was a beast but that was before t-foils... Looking forward to the progress.
Paul