Pointing

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sailtech
Boat Number: GBR 1465
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pointing

Post by Sailtech » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 am

Hi all, I have recently bought a M10 to sail at my local club and to do the POW Week this year. I am a returnee to the class after a long break ( the last boat being a Howlet 1B in the 90’s). I am enjoying the challenge of sailing the M10.
We are racing in a mixed A-Sail fleet, RS800, 49er, Musto Skiff, B14. From all I have read and know about skiff sailing, pointing is not the most important thing, boat speed is. We seem to be sailing with speed nice and flat but unable to point anywhere near the rest of the boats. We are getting it handed to us up wind.
Do we need to lose some speed for height or is it ok to have speed but no height?? Or is there something else we are missing? The rudder is T-foil.

Any advise would be good.

BBSCFaithfull
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pointing

Post by BBSCFaithfull » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Hello and welcome back!

Which boat have you purchased? Glad to hear you are coming to POW, should be a good event!

I would disagree that pointing is fairly important and a balance of the two is fairly key. What sails / mast do you have? Are you sailing with enough kicker on and how is your jib set?

Any pics of the boat with sails up?

Look forwards to your response.

Alex
Upright not upside down!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: Pointing

Post by Shu » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Sailtech,
After 6 years in the fleet I am still learning this.
In powered up mode, speed is the most important. Get speed, then point. Lots of vang tension helps-a lot.

When it's too light to plane, push your bow down into the water by moving your weight forward, then try to point like you're sailing a laser.

When it's in between, well - that's the tricky part.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183