GBR1524 TLC and control line changes

Moderators: Shu, rand

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524

Re: GBR1524 TLC and control line changes

Post by EdS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 pm

So the rudder gantry is now getting a make over to remove the articulating pushrod which loses the moment as the foil comes on.
So a traditional push rod is being added to the old biscuit.

In order to attach the purchse at the top of the gantry i need to make some tangs.

As usual it is learning as you go and a bit too much bodging. I had a go using offcut carbon and some G10 between some 2x4 and two pieces of 2x2.

The results looks good on the one side i can get the wood off, still fighting the otherside. Peel ply isnt a suitable release film for unsealed wood. Obvious really.
photo (39).JPG
Unside down T extrusion with G10 core for a tang
Yes it is a mess (around the edges, the parts are fine) and no i wouldnt do it again like this, but you can see the two small tabs of G10 and it will be cut down to two pieces that size.

I will win, but the noise is making me unpopular with the neighbours.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm

photo (41).JPG
its a smaller piece of wood epoxied together
photo (40).JPG
roughly trimmer parts post popping free
Parts got cleaned up a bit more prior to adding 2 more layers of light carbon 45/45 via resin infusion
( my 2nd attempt - first didnt go well - i lost vacuum post job due to a value connection so consolidation wasnt great)
photo (42).JPG
post infusion ready for cleaning up, halving shaping and mounting.
I get the feeling this is getting old, so if interest has waned i will stop littering the forum.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm enjoying your posts Ed. Since most of us fuss with our boats, either to repair something that broke, or to make something work better, I suspect there's plenty of interest. However, you must consider the source: the guy who only recently lost the "honor" of having the longest thread in the history of this website.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

keep posting Ed. days with no new posts pass slowly for those of us waiting for spring...

EdS

Post by EdS » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Ok chaps thanks for the responses.

So two weekends of winds in the 20 - 50knot range (last weekend being silly) are not condusive to 14 sailing and can lead to some fairly major exploratory surgery.

you may remember the mast base which takes most of the high loads purchases in the boat is a bit corroded and rather massive. Well it is no more.

A bored sailor, two screw drivers a bit of wood and a rubber mallet is a dangerous combination.
photo (46).JPG
Mast base with fittings removed. lots and lots of them
photo (44).JPG
bolts and Eyestraps.
photo (45).JPG
alot of hitting with a hammer to break the bonding and there you have it. Nothing!
photo (47).JPG
from aft, the only thing in the way is the tactic mount.
photo (48).JPG
A sharp ape like tug and it was nolonger attached.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:19 pm

some more pics and important weight weennie image.
photo (49).JPG
Proposed new pole position.
Not a total net gain due to 2 cleats being moved over but soon we will be carrying lead for the first time in her history.
photo (51).JPG
and the measure of success. if you cant read that is says 1450g
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 am

Scratch the pole down the centre line.

a carbon plate with a standard mast step sitting below it is going to the be the plan.

As far as the jib track middle support, i am trying to work out what to do.

Options
- copy the old triangle
- put a carbon tube of some sort in, no fore aft support

When the jib car is all the way out then the central support will only assist with the torque on the track.

If the car is moved inwards, then some of the vertical and fore and aft loading will be transferred as well as the torque.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:57 am

So the wooden fairlead and cleat mount, compass bracket base have been ground back to the cockpit skin.
photo (86).JPG
Before
I made a 4mm carbon plate over the weekend. The aim is to provide a secure base to put the mast step, forestay cleat and spinnaker block.
The shapes is a little odd, but the wider sections fit directly over the X frame helping spread the load.
photo (18).JPG
After, with new mast step and carbon plate offered up
So a question for you, what kind of screw/ bolt shall i use. The carbon might support a machine screw but the high density foam below i doubt will, unless i drill it overside and back fill with epoxy.
what do you think?

The older rudder pushrod system was removed from the gantry, interesting how it seems araldite was used to secure carbon plates either side of the skin with araldite it smells like to secure. This does not appear to have gone totally hard and it also looks like the source of the leak.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu

Post by Shu » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Ed,
It depends on the thickness of the carbon plate and the direction of load on the screws. Shear loading is much less likely to pull the screws out.

What is the material of that channel shape between the mast step and the carbon plate? If it's aluminum, you will be making a battery.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

EdS

Post by EdS » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 am

the screws will all be loaded almost entirely in shear.
The carbon plate is 4mm and below that the deck skin is 2mm ish with high density foam core.

sounds like it might be better to over drillthe holes into the carbon plate and back filling with epoxy.

Yes it is aluminium. I realise that i am asking for an electrolytic reaction.
The previous plate was the same and has lasted 7 years, it had a large amount of corrosion inhibitor around the screws and between the base and the paint/carbon.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:09 am

In all fairness, I installed a potential galvanic cell on my boat; aluminum cleats on carbon plate.

If you provide carbon (or G10) pads for your fittings like you show in the photograph for the cleats, you can glue them down to the carbon plate, and then have plenty of thickness to drill and tap for machine screws without having to backfill the foam core.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

EdS

Post by EdS » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:12 pm

The mounting of the base is on hold until i sort the support for the jib track, i have an idea but without a mock up i cant see if it will work and whether i need another hole forwards on the mast step.

here is some progress on the rudder gantry as far as attachment and the start of moving the pivot hole.
photo (21).JPG
Tang for the rudder system, really quite small but we shall see if it is located well enough
photo (19).JPG
the sister ships set up, notice how close the pivot hole is to the trailing edge
photo (22).JPG
my boat, i removed the carbon bushing and you can see the hole location more clearly
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 pm

So today was a great day for progress, Mark and I took a days leave and tried to blitz the boat.

The rudder gantry pivot was moved close to the edge, the nomex is currently being filled with spabond on one side then redrilled and the same done on the otherside.
photo (18).JPG
The new hole for the biscuit/rocker pivot
The plate, mast step, rig control cleats and spinnaker halyard eye strap all got alligned, dry fit and then bonded and screwed in position.
photo (19).JPG
Mast base cleats and spinnaker block eyestrap, both glued and screwed down
The jib track is going to be supported by a carbon tube which pins into the mast step, the top will be bolted through G10 to avoid the carbon aluminium contact.

Other than that, basically got splicing to do and making 4 carbon pad eyes to hold the fairleads for the aforementioned cleats and jib sheet lead.

Maybe assembling the boat this weekend, but we shall see.

On an aesthetic note it isnt great, the mast base area is a bit of a mess with part white paint and part bare carbon, but we can sail as it is and repaint over the new year at home i guess.
There is a polyeurathane barrier between all of the anodised aluminium and and carbon, the excess of which will be fetled away once it has all set.
Last edited by EdS on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Ed,
The new mast step and whole cleating/fastener base and area looks clean.
Since you are getting close to the trailing edge of the rudder gantry with your pivot hole, I suggest reinforcing the heck out of the gantry around the new hole. I epoxied some G10 washers at this location and drilled through them. This is one of the most highly loaded areas of the boat, second only to shroud attachement points and mast step in my opinion.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

EdS

Post by EdS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks Steve,

It is partially parallax. The hole is Quite a distance (relatively speaking) from the trailing edge even though it appears to be right there on the edge.

the carbon is thick, took forever to drill. I have just bonded in two carbon washers to spread the load same ones I removed previously so the angles and holes match.

photos to follow tomorrow night.
Attachments
photo (20).JPG
reinforcement for the rudder pivot
Roaring Forties GBR1524