GBR1524 TLC and control line changes

Moderators: Shu, rand

EdS
Boat Number: GBR 1524

GBR1524 TLC and control line changes

Post by EdS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Evening all,

I don't know whether there is interest, but my boat needs some work and I would like to share my progress.

So the List so far

Repairs
- 1 puncture hole to the deck between the shrouds and the jib track
Thank you to those of you who gave me tips
puncture.JPG
- re clear coating carbon
port foreward strut.JPG
The pole, boom and GNAV were stripped of fittings today, the aluminium clamcleat on the boom was very corroded.
The mast needs sanding, then having the measurement band redone prior to a coat of clearcoat

- a dent/possible puncture near the centreboard case ( found today under some sikaflex after rope removal)

Control line changes
removing centre console controls and rerouting
- Cap Shroud - vernier
- Forestay - Mast base
- Shrouds - forward cockpit floor
- rudder control - twist grip
remove the take ups for the above

Before
centre console.JPG
1 down: 1 to go
console hardware starboard.JPG
The system in pieces
cockpit.JPG
end of today, significantly less string on the floor, the last 4 lines of bungee will be out from near the centreboard case tomorrow

So, should i remove the moulding from the cockpit floor, or leave it as a short kick bar?

Rudder control Purchase
- 4:1 or 6:1 depending on how it goes
- 2:1 OR 4:1 on the pod
- 2:1 or 1:1 on the tiller going out to the barrel
Last edited by EdS on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Re: GBR1524 TLC and control line changes

Post by EdS » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm

starboard front strut.JPG
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I suspect there will be quite a bit of interest Ed. If you really want to know, hold your cursor over the photos and see how many times they have been viewed.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

selsbowbitch
Boat Number: GBR 1525

Post by selsbowbitch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Ed

Just to let you know I'm going through exactly the same thing with 1522. I have agreed to write a multi part article for Yachts and Yachting on the rebuild. Will be covering Hull & Foil repairs, change of deck gear/re-rope & buying sails to fit / tuning.

I'll add it to the forum after it's been published so that the outside UK guys can see it as well.

I feel you're pain, it looks like we've been going through the same things. We're starting to get there now, off to P&B this sat to get measured for the new rags then Weymouth to see if everything works the following weekend!

Good luck

Graeme

Dan H
Boat Number: 1515

Post by Dan H » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Ed,
I have significant shed envy.
All looks very good - I would say that its best to avoid using parcel tape for masking - if its on there for more than 5 mins it'll leave residue thats a pain in the arse to remove, also with the stuff around the repair, if you want to put a little heat in, the parcel tape will wrinkle and shrink.
Very much worth spending £5 a roll on decent 3M masking tape. Even cheaper masking tapes leave residue.
Dan

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Graeme, are you running with the same selden stick that came with the boat?

selsbowbitch

Post by selsbowbitch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Dan

Yes it is, apparently it shares similar stiffness to the current rigs but it a tad heavier, so we're pretty happy because we've heard a few bad stories about the rigs between our vintage and latest hi mod hi mod.

Why? have any insight?

Cheers

Graeme

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

Ah yes - snappy snappy. Unless everything is laminated on, it seems.
If yours is pretty contemporary stiffness wise then thats fine. Would be a bit of a shame to put new rags on a noodly old mast.
Looking forward to sharing insights in weymouth.

selsbowbitch

Post by selsbowbitch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am

defo, appreciate it, beers on me!

EdS

Post by EdS » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Graeme, sounds good I look forward to reading about it, in fact any chance of a pre release version for some tips? :)
Thanks Dan, although the quadruple garage is on loan while I work on the boat.
Appreciate the tip on the tape. I will get some tomorrow. I had intended to mask up properly and will do before any sticky stuff.

So Thursday was definitely up and down.

The good

Stripped and first coat of polyurethane on the pole and boom.
Spraying would definitely be better but there is a marked improvement.

Filled the hole with an epoxy micro balloons mic

Removed the graphics from the cockpit and the take up lines purchase running back behind the daggerboard case.

Uncovered the crack in the cockpit and cleared the paint.

Painted first coat of polyurethane in the starboard wing strut.
Yes Dan parcel tape again, in my defense it was prior to your comment.

Bought replacement hardware.

The ugly

I found three more areas of impact damaged and delamination.
Two small puncture which are similar to the first two
The last is the size of my hand and it has a crack on one side, I am on two minds whether I should repair it or get a pro, but good news I found it.

All but two of the damage areas were under the spinnaker sock, so potentially damaged from the eyes on the kite and being stood on.

Photos to follow, I don't have Internet in the house I just moved into.
Last edited by EdS on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 pm

So Today i was 70 miles from the boat but I did manage some work on the rudder.

My intention is to run the ovingron twist grip mechanism.
The barrel was bogged on on Thursday.

There any many ways to route the control lines all the the intention of not loading up the helm whilst also maintaining the ability to overcome the friction and load with your wrist.

So the k3 the b6 and Daves B6 and Katie's B5 have effective solutions however in my case none of the were suitable.
The rear gantry is closed on on my boat and the pivot for the system goes through the gantry side, The Cassette if that is the word is flush to the gantry sides making attaching blocks more challenging.

Given the pushrod action of the mechanism and the location of the tiller on the stock a bastardised k3 copy appears most appropriate. However I don't have exposed rudder pin to go around so a pair of antal low friction rings have been laminated either side of the rudder. In order to avoid inducing torque from the line a saddle with the line returning to the opposite side will be used.

I am somewhat embarrassed about how crude this is ( that is a tribute to Hendo and Shu's workmanship amongst others), bit it is an experiment and I can remove it if it works and laminate it in more neatly and with less bog. It is attached direction to the fillet on the rudder stock so This was my initial idea.

You can see the filled holes from the previous owners attempt at this. Notice it is I front of the pivot ( affecting and it used to have two plain bearing cheek blocked bolted through the tiller with long ( heavier than you would think) stainless bolts.

I need to ask Katie and Dave H if I can post their systems, and I will put up links to the other two I have seen.

So a question for you!
Can flexible PVC "a la industrial vertical strip doors" make a good toe strap??
I was thinking of buying some 4mm x40mm x1000mm and then heating it over a male mould to allow of to stretch and shrink into a suiFtable footstep shape to help comfort and access.
The boat has 6 windsurfing footstrap which are tatty and I am sure heavy when wet.
Any thoughts?
Roaring Forties GBR1524

EdS

Post by EdS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 pm

So a quick update,

All the areas of damage bar the big one have had the paint stripped, the end of the cracks rounded with a dremel and the damaged carbon removed.
In some cases this was a reasonable amount of material.

At what point should i be sticking in foam? these current repairs would be fiddly to remove the core and stick in the foam, but would appreciate input on roughly the size to consider changing approach.

All the progrip and hardware was remove from the rack and both the racks and aft rack struts were taken back to carbon.
I do have one issue, two of the toe strap screws snapped and i guess i need to drill them out......

As far as lay out for the controls, I am going to put the shrouds and jib cunningham on the port jam cleat mount on the cockpit floor by the mast base, but using clamcleats instead.
A plate of g10 will be laminated onto cleat mount (just wood at present). i am guessing i need to reinforce the connection to the wood and down to the deck skin with 45/45 carbon, any input.

In my previous post i talked about footstraps, i have decided to use the recommended shock foot loops, hope they do the job nicely.

The boat had the mast put in along with the spinnaker pole to take measurments for a new spinnaker, i realised that the forestay i have is actually too long and i barely manage to get more upright then 8100mm. I am building a new forestay, so this wont be an issue and i can redo the marks on the deck to give a more accurate set of readings.
Attachments
photo (19).JPG
another piece of damage removed further forward. the amounts i am having to remove is a little uncomfortable.
photo (25).JPG
aft most crack, end rounded and incompetent carbon removed
photo (24).JPG
original hole filled and dish sanded
photo (22).JPG
mast and boom post clear coat - boom needs a polish
photo (21).JPG
re clear coated pole fitted to measure up for a new spinnaker
Roaring Forties GBR1524

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 am

Hi Ed,
Looks like good progress.

As for "sticking in foam", I think putting in some epoxy and microballoons, with silica thickener would be fine for these small holes. Mix epoxy, then add balloons, stir gently until smooth, then add silica until it has a thick consistency that won't sag. You can use a syringe to make sure you are filling from the bottom up. Am I right to assume the opposite skin is still intact?

Need pics or sketch of the cleat/wood/baseplate to understand what you are trying to do.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

selsbowbitch

Post by selsbowbitch » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Ed

Agree with Shu here, I had the same quandry and I asked a couple of boatbuilder mates, they said as long as the holes are not in high stress areas or too large then you'll be ok filling with epoxy & silica to give strength and then gelcoating over it afterwards to make it look good (I used the syringe method as well). It has worked really well on 1522 so far...

Good move on the Shock straps, We haven't got them yet but I had them on the Musto and they are fantastic.

What did you use to clearcoat? need to do ours soon :-(

On the article front, I'll hapilly share some of the insights when I've written them up, just penning the first bits now.

New rags this weekend from P&B in time for Weymouth so looking forward to that :-)

Cheers

Graeme

EdS

Post by EdS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 am

Shu,

Here are a couple of pictures of the cleat base.

Originally the Jib cunningham was cleated on a 30mm jam cleat on a 4:1 purchase.
photo (26).JPG
Wood block which is through the top laminate and replaces the core
The plan is to move the Shrouds adjustment and the jib cunning to this position and mount them on clamcleats.
photo (27).JPG
Proposed two clamcleats to be mounted on a plate of G10 on the wood base
The wood block is laminated into the deck replacing the nomex, however read the next post regarding deck strength.

Graeme, I am using Epifanes clear coat. Mainly because that is what was put on originally and i want to avoid any adverse reaction if i dont get all of the old clearcoat off.
it does appear to brush on well using foam brushed and thinners.

On the repair front given the fact the cockpit is loaded i will be putting carbon over the top as well as filling the core. Using gelcoat does not apply to my boat, it has a painted finish. I need to work out how to put down non skid on the repairs.

Sounds good on the rags, are you making it to Weymouth this weekend? or the next one? I am waiting for a new mast for white sails but looking forward to the new spinnaker.
Roaring Forties GBR1524