Where in the world are we?

Moderators: Shu, rand

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Where in the world are we?

Post by rand » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Do you ever wonder where the other 14s are? How many boats are near some crazy place that would be great for a regatta?

I've been thinking that a world map with boat locations plotted on it would be very informative. Anybody else think this would be helpful? Anybody have the skills to put this together? Unfortunately I don't have the time to put it together, but one of you must have some experience doing something like this.

So what do you think?
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

oliver1000
Boat Number: K1282
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Where in the world are we?

Post by oliver1000 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Rand,

I think this is a great idea, as one of those people that lives in a very un-14 orientated place. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time or the experience to do a make a good job of it.

Ollie
Ollie Williams
K1282

G Leonard
Boat Number: 1234
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by G Leonard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I also think this is a great idea. Anyone have any thoughts on how to make it happen?

Graham

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Well, I think probably email all members, and ask if they are willing to provide, Boat Name, Number and Type as well as Home Port. Also, if anyone knows any non-members who sail 14's see if they will contribute the information of their boat. The UK N12 association have a database of all the boats which is public, and we could almost create something like this, along with a marinetraffic style map which you could zoom in on, which showed distribution at a low mag and individual craft/ a list of craft at clubs at a high mag.
This would probably require a lot of programming though.
Ollie Williams
K1282

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm

I think Google Maps allows you to drop pins with attached info. However, I've never had any luck saving anything on Google Maps. Maybe Google earth? Disclaimer: in spite of being an administrator on this site, I'm am very tech un-savvy.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand

Post by rand » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 am

Google maps has a developer API to suck in data and display it. Somebody just needs to tie it all together :-) somebody that knows java script (not a language I've learned yet).
Rand Arnold

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am

This may not work correctly but we'll try it anyway. I don't know Javascript - I tried to learn but ran out of time. This was done without any programming.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 8f8a449f05
There are two ways I have done this. If you look at the three boats I have information for, I have listed them as such. Else, I have listed the sailing club. This is open to voting
Ollie Williams
K1282

GER_PL
Boat Number: GER 242

Post by GER_PL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:31 am

Something like this:

http://mapalist.com/Public/pm.aspx?mapid=297451

I can easily setup a spreadsheet were sailors could register their sailnumber and location, and it will automatically added to the map ....
-----------------------------------------------------------
GER-242 - Dortmund - Germany

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah, that system would work. The problem is getting everyone to accurately input the lat/long as not every sailing club is recognised on google maps
Ollie Williams
K1282

GER_PL

Post by GER_PL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Yeah, but the location's name is enough and does not have to be too accurate. Something like "Lake this-or-that" is enough .... or the town were you live ... if you know that there is someone close by whom you don't know, there are other ways to find out his exact loaction and contact ... I'll prepare a spreadsheet tommorow and we can try it out ...

GER_PL

Post by GER_PL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 am

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:40 am

This is a fantastic Idea.

I will try and put it on the worlds site when i get chance

Rich
GBR 1474

rand

Post by rand » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Love it! Added myself. Will be fun to see once we get some entries and the map refreshes.

I was thinking that it would be convenient if the map could pull data from user data on this forum, but that might not be so easy, and boat number is not easily edited, and location info might go stale faster. Hard to say. I'm sure this will evolve over time, but what a great start!
Rand Arnold

oliver1000

Post by oliver1000 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am

It looks great, I was wondering if people think we need to write a letter/email to the national sailing authorities (RYA etc) for them to distribute to all clubs. This was people who don't regularly look at the forum may fill in the form
Ollie Williams
K1282

ovoss14

Post by ovoss14 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Great idea!

Is there a chance to add a feature to get in contact with the boats on the map?

best wishes

Olli
GER 91