Lowers

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sailnaked6842
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lowers

Post by sailnaked6842 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey guys, I've got another question for you. My brother and I are trying to put the lower shrouds on our boat since it didn't have any when we got it but there's no helpful guides/photo's on how to set them up and what to look for. The fiberglass on the boat is pretty old so naturally we have to take steps to either reinforce spots where they'd attach or find spots where they are currently reinforced. I'm thinking that to attach these we'd start off at the eye strap on the mast with some 3/8" dyneema which dead-ends (by a splice) into a single block. On the boat we would attach a block (with a becket) to the compression struts where the shroud attaches and run a line from the block (on the strut) up to the line and back to the strut then forward. But from here we're not sure what to do, how much purchase we should have or how to attach the lowers together, so we pull from one line, where we get good travel.
Attachments
IMG_20120623_185103.jpg

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Re: Lowers

Post by Hendo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:27 am

you have pinned shrouds, what's wrong with pinned lowers on a rack to match --Go Sailing!!!!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm with Hendo; go pinned. You really only want to adjust these when you adjust rake. Figure out a way to attach them at the same attachment point as the main shrouds. I use the pin part of a shackle for the pin that attaches the shrouds to the boat (not the adjustment pin). The loop part of the shackle then serves as an attachment for the lowers. I use a 1/4" pin, as the loads are high.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Pinned lowers would certainly take all the guesswork out of an adjustable set. So basically what you're saying is connect the lowers to the mast with a shackle or a splice, connect that line/wire to a turnbuckle, and connect that to the line on the compression strut/shroud plate? When we had the boat it originally had vectran (I think) but no connections so we took them off the boat but that'll be replaced with 3/16 Dyneema (SK-75) but will it be better off as a wire? Secondly, how much tension should be on these? Is there a general rule of thumb for putting tension on the lowers in relation to the shrouds? From the sound of it we'll just go with this route and then have the boat ready for the National Event in Toronto.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 am

Wire with turnbuckles would be ideal. Most people go with vectran and replace it every year or so. Use at least 3/16" vectran to avoid too much stretch.
As for tension I think the current thinking for most double spreader rigs is to set the mast up with full tension on the shrouds, then with the mainsail up and modest tension on the vang, the mast should be perfectly straight from the base nearly to the lower spreaders. This will mean the mast is slightly inverted without the sail up. This would be your setting for light and medium winds. Allowing a little bend down low is ok for strong wind settings, but keep in mind you will have lots of vang in strong winds, until you get into survival mode and start easing vang.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183