Jib Twisting

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sailnaked6842
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jib Twisting

Post by sailnaked6842 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey guys, I went out a few weeks ago while it was pretty choppy and had a strange situation. The jib I usually have on my boat (Divine Madness) is full battened and, during a capsize, some of the battens broke and the jib twisted around the forestay. It was such a bad twist that it couldn't be pulled around the forestay so the boat had to be capsized and untwisted that way. So the question is, is there any way to prevent this in a battened jib and/or should the same twisting be expected from a non-battened jib? Also, we have another jib without battens which, although I have no idea if it's faster or slower, we typically use that's never twisted, but we're also not out in that much chop. Secondly do newer boats use full battened jibs? I assume they're faster because they hold shape better, so naturally we'd like to use the fastest sails we own.

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Jib Twisting

Post by rand » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm

I think that the jib will furl like this if the sheets get to loose when you go over, but I haven't thought to much about it. My full battened jib did this several years back, breaking the battens in several places. I never replaced the battens and the pieces have mostly exited the sail at this point :)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

_chris_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by _chris_ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Put a stopper knot on the jib sheet to make it impossible for the clew of the sail to reach the forestay. We don't ever have the jib eased a whole lot in these boats and the shorter the range your comfortable with the less likely you'll break battens so don't be shy about the stopper knot placement.

New boats are fully battened and its faster then not!

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Yea, the same thing happened to our battens. Each one's in about 4 different pieces but over the winter we may let the sail makers fix it since they get pretty bored in the midwest and do things on the cheap. Anyways, Chris, that is a genius idea and I'm definitely going to implement it. Thanks for all the help!