Upgrade of US1112

Moderators: Shu, rand

Pirate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Upgrade of US1112

Post by Pirate » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm

We trailered the boat to ours clubs opening day. Couple of things of note. I think Brightside paint is a little soft (Been curing for several weeks now) or thin. We tied the mast down with padding and the padding caused marks on the mast. We did set the rig up for the first time since the rebuild started. There are a lot of parts to remember!

The 'T' foil arrived from Henderson and looks great. Its incredible stiff! Thanks Kris! Now we have to attach it to the rudder.

Anyway its is coming along. Here are a couple of PICs.
IMG_20120430_073643.jpg
We are getting closer. The paint makes the boat look a whole lot better!
IMG_20120430_073643.jpg
IMG_20120430_073643.jpg
Matt & Ed
Attachments
IMG_20120430_073612.jpg
IMG_20120430_073628.jpg

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 am

Boat looks great! , with that new foil that boat is going to rip. the H-1 is very close in concept as far as design ,which is so far very fast in flat water , even in 25 knots!
so how bout showing the rest of the world that foil ?

Pirate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pirate » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

It’s been a while since I posted anything as the progress seem un noticeable in the PICs. When we removed all the hardware we put in into two shoe boxes. (Yes, we took pictures (-: ) Funny thing, as we put the hardware back the shoe boxes haven’t seemed to empty as I thought. As I look at the boat now everything seems new. We have lots of spare parts! Everything works easily. We are still wrestling with the control line take ups which go through simple holes in the side decks. It seems we will need through deck blocks to keep the friction down. I put the non-skid down yesterday and it went very well seems to look pretty good.

Matt was very helpful in engineering the routing of everything and of course rerouting where I have some stupid idea.
The last thing is mounting the ‘T’ foil control mechanism and attaching the ‘T’ foil to the rudder. I must say that The Henderson ‘T’ foil is pretty wicked looking. I will post some PIC of just the foil later in the week. The is a shot of the plywood mock up of the cassette housing and what we call the ‘bronze piece & the ‘Book ‘(part that the bronze piece goes into). I am hoping to get this done this week.

In case anyone is curious about taking on a project like this we have several hundred hours in it. It took 4 hours just to make templates, cut the non skid and install it yesterday. And there are a huge number of splices!
Matt & Ed
Copy (2) of IMG_20120420_172843.jpg
Bare boat - 53 KGs. Displacement with Mast, Boom, Spin pole, less rudder & CB before Mods 85Kgs
IMG_20120520_180011.jpg
'T' foil mock up
IMG_20120520_180007.jpg
All Controls mounted and non-skid in place
IMG_20120520_180131.jpg
Mast Step Details
IMG_20120520_180136.jpg
Fore Deck

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed May 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Looking really nice guys! Not surprised by the hours.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am

Hows that rudder foil project , we want to see :) lot's of pictures

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed May 30, 2012 4:56 pm

This weekend we started the second to last phase of the US1112 upgrade adding the 'T' foil. We set the boat up so the controls would be on the control panels rather than the tiller extension just because it would be simpler and we would not need new extensions or a new tiller. Also, we decided to use the existing cassette. Somewhere along the line during the last two weeks disaster struck in Matt has his computer crash and he lost Solid Works so, we can no longer generate a DXF file for the machine shop. Plan B was initiated by buying a metal cutting band saw blade and testing same on a piece of bronze. Since we have the wood mock up (Old School method) we can simply trace the outline on to the bronze. It appears we can cut the bronze piece ourselves using the dimensions Matt came up with as fine tuned by the mockup. The first step was building the housing for the bronze piece; we call it the ‘book’.

Shu was very concerned about the fit so we planned on using the raw bronze plate as the mold. We put two 50% off coupons that arrived in the mail on each side to provide a little clearance then wrapped the plate in waxed paper. We cut the carbon to a little over size and planned on 18 layers alternating between 90 & 45x45 orientations. We put more waxed paper on the table where we would eventually place the bronze piece as the mold. You can see in the photos, we wet out the carbon cloth then placed the bronze piece on top followed by wrapping the cloth extension around the front edge and top of the plate. The first layer of waxed paper was also wrapped around the front edge and on top of the carbon. After carefully checking to be sure there were no puckers a flat piece of wood was placed on top and weighted down until cured. As you can see the result is pretty good with few puckers. I am a little concerned that the 18 layers may not provide enough thickness so I may add more. Shu’s appears to be about 1/8’ thick. The plan is to wrap carbon around the top and bottom to keep things from spreading.
The book will be attached first by gluing it to the pod then adding a number of layers of carbon from the aft edge of the book to the front of the pod. I am going to try really hard to make the last carbon layer weave look straight and clear coat it just for looks.

We have a general layout for the controls but need to finalize the number of part for the tackle and bungee cord.
IMG_20120529_202745.jpg
Bronze plate with mock up on top
IMG_20120529_211045.jpg
First step to wet out the carbon. Note the dam in front of the carbon to make it bend upward
IMG_20120529_203008.jpg
Bronze piece in place ready to have the carbon folded over the top.
IMG_20120529_203023.jpg
Carbon folded, hope it releases!
IMG_20120529_203100.jpg
Weighted waiting for curing

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Thu May 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Here is the 'Book' almost ready to apply to the Pod.
IMG_20120529_205008.jpg
the 'Book'
Tonight I will close the ends and cut the hole for the control mechanism

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:49 pm

This was a great weekend for working on the 14.
We finished the book and after some tricky alignment attached it to the rudder pod. The alignment was difficult because there was no reference frame. So, we assumed that the racks should be aprrallel to the water line and that the DWL would go from the bottom of the transom forward to having about 2" of the nuckle submerged. This is imposrtant becasue while the bronze piece has a 25 degree range of motion the right 15 degrees of this is needed to provide the +2 to -15 degree range of angles of attack for the 'T' foil. Our rudder has some leading edge rake to it, so, the 'T' foil cannot just be mounted perpendicular to it.

IMG_20120603_094258[1].jpg
'Book' attached with thickened epoxy.
IMG_20120603_100558[1].jpg
Carbon laminate applied
We plan on trying this out on Wednesday night with out the foil.

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 am

Hi team,
things are looking good ,so a few notes as the hull is drawn DWL. is not at the transom but about an inch above that. The bow you have about right(2"above the nuckel). this rocks the hull more parallel witch makes some concern about the angle of the rudder cassette box as far as " enough oh shit mode!" .. On the B6 we try to make sure this is forward enough because once it is glued in it is hard to change and, you can always pull more foil on, but when you can't get enough off , well,, you know the rest..
then angle our template is to set the box is around 80 degrezes . .You can see on the Shu2 page he was very concerned about this as well ..
So your rudder that has some rake? you want to still set the foil a little up (as much as 10 degrese) , mesure where the goudgens are, and that is perpendicular.
Attachments
052.JPG
The B6 once again" foil on" setting but notice how far it can go forward.. Ed notice the angle of the rudder foil in the background.
089.JPG
B6 Blue boat in foil on position

Shu

Post by Shu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Ed and Matt,
I was trying to find this photo, but will have to post the link instead. I think it does a good job of showing what Kris is getting at.

download/file.php?id=582&mode=view

This is my cassette (book). Note the forward angle, which allows me to go into full "Oh $#@&" mode. It's sort of hidden in Kris's photos, but the B6 "book" has a similar angle. I forget the exact angle, but I took the angle of the front of the "book" relative to the bottom of the boat from Paul Bieker's drawing and reproduced that as the angle I cut on the back edge of the gantry (pod in your case). I then glued the "book" to that angled back edge.

You may be able to get some aft rake to the rudder (forward rake to the top of the rudder) by drilling the pin hole pretty far aft, but then you'll be giving up some strength and stiffness.

Make sure you get this right now, so you can enjoy those wild downhill rides in burly conditions.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks Steve, I knew you had that photo, that's what I'm talking about.
Ed, Steve may'be went about ten degrese to far for fear of the safety mode but you get the idea, you want to have that guy raked forward to make sure you have enough off! , cut into that old pintal if you have to.

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Kris,
The angle of the photo and the edge of the gantry in the background makes it look like more than it actually is. Brad and I were actually easing off a little from full-on upwind mode in Sunday's solid 12 kts, and that was with an older rudder. My new Russel Brown foil should require even more easing. That said, I think it may be angled a little more than necessary, but only by about 2 degrees at most.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Here's a photo of a B5. Again, the angle of the "book" is partially hidden by the surrounding structure, but if you look carefully, you can see the angle is quite sbstantial.
Attachments
Can600gantry.JPG
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:58 am

Shu,
"you got it right" safety mode is a good thing. Just wait till you get in the gorge (Aug. 10th ) sailing a nice 22 knot day , your ripping down wind , you see a stack of waves in front of you , you talk about it, and then a big stinger hits you! Foil off, as you ease the kite and and away you go!
One thing that I was trying to talk Joe into that I learned from John V. back in the day, was finding where neutral was on the foil . Not that you were going to sail at that setting but just to have a refference. Where the foil is parallel to the water line. This way you know where OH !!@#$$%%, is. John had three marks on the floor where you both could see. One was U. for all the way on for (upwind), next was N. for neutral. witch was zero. Below that was the the letters O.S.! well you all know what that means..

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Shu: thanks for the PIC of the B5. That was very helpful in determining the number of parts andthe working of the mechanism.

Hendo:

We did it. attached the 'T' foil to the rudder. I must say this was not done with out some trepidation. We measured everything a number of times before we cut the rudder.

Here's the foil. What a beaut!
IMG_20120611_204640[1].jpg
Henderson Boat Work's 'T' foil
We used a profiler to get the top and bottom shape of the 'T' foil then traced it on to the rudder. We cut the rudder with a saber saw. The fit was pretty good

IMG_20120611_210703[1].jpg

Foil fitted to rudder, ready for epoxy
IMG_20120611_204640[1].jpg
Henderson Boat Work's 'T' foil
Attachments
IMG_20120611_210927[1].jpg