Re: Upgrade of US1112

Post by Shu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Nice looking work by the way.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:14 am

Well the smarter I think I am the dummer I seem! I 5200ed the Starboard to the hull. Works well. Then I cover the starboard with two layer of carbon. This does not go so well. First it was very humid, the epoxy turned white. There goes the black carbon idea. Then inspite of all of the thinking about how to locate the controls, mocking them up, testing, etc. Neither one of thought about the most critical thing. How does one find the holes in the starboard, after the nice black (or white) carbon is applied over the 40 very nice precise holes that were match drilled for the hardware? errrr...........

We probably could have used screws in the Starboard to hold the cleats and turning blocks as the loads are in shear on the fasteners and that's how they were mounted before.

Ed & Matt

Bty, Matt suggested that the next time we use tooth picks to mark the holes in the wet carbon

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 am

Well the smarter I think I am the dummer I seem! I 5200ed the Starboard to the hull. Works well. Then I cover the starboard with two layer of carbon. This does not go so well. First it was very humid, the epoxy turned white. There goes the black carbon idea. Then inspite of all of the thinking about how to locate the controls, mocking them up, testing, etc. Neither one of thought about the most critical thing. How does one find the holes in the starboard, after the nice black (or white) carbon is applied over the 40 very nice precise holes that were match drilled for the hardware? errrr...........

We probably could have used screws in the Starboard to hold the cleats and turning blocks as the loads are in shear on the fasteners and that's how they were mounted before.

Ed & Matt

Bty, Matt suggested that the next time we use tooth picks to mark the holes in the wet carbon

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 am

The blush is probably only on the surface of the epoxy. You might try sanding the surface and then coating with either a non-blushing epoxy or clear LPU. You'll want to eventually coat the clear epoxy with LPU anyway, as the epoxy can't take the sun.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 am

When I do this, two things...

Stainless T-Nuts http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=1746

I also sacrifice some bolts by sticking them into the nuts when laying down the carbon. Threaded rod will do fine (you don't need the bolt head).

Maybe a little late, but for the other side of the boat...
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:54 am

Be cautious of weight , that starboard is keelboat stuff, lets hope it is the heaviest thing on the boat. It adds up fast!

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Big day to day we are going to weigh the boat.

We got a great E-mali from Jake Skala yesterday. He and Brad Reutenik were the second owners. They bought her from Keith Stahnke. She was built by Tony Smith in 1997. Jake found a copy of the Measurement Certificate and sent an electronic copy to me. Thank you Jake!

Well I tried my first tube last night. It was not successful. Basically I wrapped a tube with wax paper and rolled wet carbon on to it. The wax paper bunched up so I couldn't get it flat against the tube. Also I was doing this myself, it apprears to be a two person job. Next try will be waxed and sprayed with a parting agent on PVC or copper as has been suggested on the Internet.

Matt & Ed

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:36 pm

We just weighed her. This is the bare empty hull, no hardware, no mast step no blocks etc. So, the bare hull weighs 56kg. This is not measurement trim for measurement. It is just the bare hull.

The Certificate says Weight is 81.6 and has 59.9 of correctors. This is a 1997 boat. I am not sure I understand the 59.9 number. We weighed her all up before we started the project and with all the gear, mast, boom, spin pole, no rudder or CB she came in at 85kg.

Jake said there was a corrector weigh (Shaped like a disk and fastened to the surface of the deck) just forward of the rudder pod. Its not there now. There is some sort of patch that appears to have been added later for some reason. So, perhaps the disk was made flush with the deck.

Matt & Ed

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 am

I think the 59.9 must be 5.99kg. (13lbs) thats about the size of your pad area.
56kg. is great! new weight at the next worlds is going to be 70kg.(154lbs.)
So you have 30 lbs. to go!, no problem right? keep up the good work.
rules say; fittings ,anything glued, screwed or bolted. but then there's splices and spectra loops and bungie tackups that you cant undo.
like the spinn pole, you can't really take it apart.
or rudder cassette with swivel adjusters and tillers bolted.

JakeSkala

Post by JakeSkala » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Matt & Ed, I re-read my copy of US1112's 1997 measurement cert and found on page 2 it reads:
page 2 Rule 9(a) item 10 Hull weight without correctors 59.9kg
page 2 rule 9(a) item 11 Total weight of hull and correctors 81.6Kg
The 3rd page (which must be an attachment page) with "A & B Measurements) has what I see as a typo at the bottom that is throwing you off. Page 3 under "Weight" shows Weight of correctors as 59.9 but I think it should read 21.7 which is in keeping with Page 2.
81.6Kg was the min total weight that year so they had 21.7Kg (47.84 pounds) of correctors that year and the upcoming worlds.

I misspoke when I wrote you saying the corrector weight forward of the rudder pod was a round disk. Brad R. was correct in remembering that it was a rectangular ~2" X ~9" X ~13" plate. After we painted the bottom at added a 2:1 jibs etc. we were able to shave off the corners of the plate. We then 4200 or 5200 it back to the cockpit floor. It served as a corrector weight and foot support. The KY and MI owners were not active racers so they probably removed the plate altogether.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:56 pm

All:

We have been busy. The entire deck is sanded expoxyed and ready for paint. The carbon in places seemed to absort the epoxy so gave it two coats after hard sanding of the first coat. We added reenforcing to the rudder pod and have decided to use it as is with out any additional support.

Matt is using solid works to design the bronzre plate and the housing for it. This is very neet as he can make the whole thing move to check clearances. The end result is a DXF file whihc a friend of mine can use on his NC machine to make it. To Shu's credit we are using a lot of his ideas.

We are still trading off the foil control. The twist grip approach is technically elegent but the control line approach is brut force expediant.

there is not much to show but here are a few PICs:
IMG_20120406_174420[1].jpg
Rudder Pod with renforcement
IMG_20120406_174441[1].jpg
Second coat of epoxy
Attachments
IMG_20120408_173147[1].jpg
No rocker here!

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Its been a while since the last post. We have been sanding, sanding, sanding! We choose "Brightside" paint for the refinishing. I had used it for the hull and it worked well. I was lazy and did not want to deal with the spray gun so the primer was rolled then tipped. This was not a good idea as the paint dried to quickly and left brush marks which had to be sanded very hard to get out. The paint needed thinning to flow right. Also, spraying would have left a nice even coat to sand. The top coat, thined and using the spray gun, went on well.
IMG_20120420_172843.jpg
Final coat
We started adding the fittings:
IMG_20120425_194148[1].jpg
First of the cam cleats for the control lines. The after one is for the 'T' foil
About this time Matt says 'This looks pretty good, maybe we should paint the mast' . I looked at him through my dust covered goggles and said through the vapor face mast, sounds good you prep it!" So, he did. This time we sprayed on the thinned primer! Final coat came out pretty good:
IMG_20120425_194213[1].jpg
Mast with the final coat of black
Tomorrow I am taking most of the day off to finish replacing the rigging.

We ordered the 'T' from Henderson and it is on the way. Kris says its a wicked looking foil. We can't wait. Matt is working on the DXF file for the bronze piece which we will mock up before cutting chips. The mock up will be used to form the housing, similar to what Shu did. The housing is going to be attached to the aft of the POD rather than cutting into the POD. This way the structure stays in tact and i think it will be easier.

I have been keeping track of the amount of weight we are adding (Assuming wet paint & epoxy not the dried weight)and we still seem to be below minimums.

The two major tasks left are building the 'T' foil mechanism and I have to finish assembling the new jib.

I must say a nice shinny boat gives a nice phycological lift!
Matt & Ed

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Looking good Matt & Ed!
If you're going to hang the cassette off the back of the pod instead of cutting it in, I suggest reinforcing the back edge of the cassette, since I don't think the 1/8" carbon plate will be stiff enough on its own. Also, really pile on the carbon reinforcing between the pod and the cassette, since the rudder will have a pretty healthy fore-and-aft lever arm to try and rip the cassette off.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

yarrow
Boat Number: USA 1134

Post by yarrow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 am

Here are a few pics of new foils I'm working on to upgrade my B2, these are high aspect upgrades and I have a nice set of molds, which will allow me to make copies for people who are interested in a set. Tell me what you all think.
cheers,
Yarrow
Attachments
IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1764.jpg
B-3 USA 1134
Freedom 25: w/ carbon rotating wing spar
I sail out of Newport RI as a member of NSF: http://nsf.skiffsailing.us

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Wow Yarrow, that is a very high aspect rudder. Are you using a standard foil section, or did you develop it on your own?
The horizontal foil joint you've drawn on the rudder looks high to my eye. Quite a bit of the rudder will actually be above the water.
I look forward to seeing this come together. Keep posting.
-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183