Possibly the most ridiculous question yet...!

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
woody
Boat Number: BOSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Possibly the most ridiculous question yet...!

Post by woody » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle!
My crew and I want a Int.14 and have already looked at a couple of UK boats (late 90s models). Here comes the crazy bit... we sail at Burnham Overy Staithe which dries out when the tide goes out, and only has a tidal range of approximately 1-3metres, there isn't a lot of water until you get into the sea!

I used to be a boat builder and am quite handy with composites so our plan is to make shorter foils to use to get to the sea and then swap them for the usual ones. My question is does anyone know how it will behave downwind with less board and the kite up? Upwind I obviously realise that it will loose ground and wont point as high.

My ex boss used to manage the Taiwanese Olympic 49er team and said that there shouldn't be much difference. The only experience my crew and I have of twin wire asymmetric is we used to have a Hurricane 500 catamaran which was a prototype planning hull jobbie with skegs and so not really relevant to the question.

Thanks in advance,

Woody

_chris_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Possibly the most ridiculous question yet...!

Post by _chris_ » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:51 pm

What about just pulling the foils up until you are in deep water?

woody

Post by woody » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

The channel is only 20m wide so we were thinking of a shorter board so its not obstructing the cockpit whilst banging in some quick tacks. We shall see I guess, may even convert it to centre board rather than dagger as we only want the boat for burning around.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm

In theory, the ability to steer for balance down wind (up to correct leeward heel, down to correct windward heel) is not only affected by the angle to the wind, but by the athwartships resistance of the daggerboard to the turn. There is supposed to be a point at which it starts working against you, but I have never pulled my daggerboard up that high. Presumably, keeping the area of the rudder proportional to the daggerboard would help. Maybe some of your countrymen have done similar experiments in dealing with the shallow reaches of water I have heard about over there?
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:19 am

No Worrys mate ,
just don,t have your short board shorter than your rudder!
In the 9er we would pull the board up as soon as we started to ease the main.
no cb trunk.

woody

Post by woody » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for the input guys :) We have put a deposit down on 1370 and going to pick it up on the 9th so will let you know how we get on!