The new B6

Moderators: Shu, rand

joe.bersch

Re: The new B6

Post by joe.bersch » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I just go straight across the.back, rack tube to rack tube. The vang and cunno lines lay nicely next to the "tight line" we have tensioned between the two rack tubes. Less friction than the alternative.

Joe

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Straight across from rack to rack. Less friction.

evsjo

Post by evsjo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 am

20140907_144420.jpg
It's busy in there...

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 am

That is a lot of strings, Evan and Terry! I have taken the opposite approach. Cunno and vang adjustable by skipper or crew from mid rack. Rig tension on forward rack strut adjustable by crew only. We have an adjustable foreatay but it is at the base of the mast and not practicaly adjustable while sailing on the wire. We are focused on simplicity. Perhaps it is an age thing or more likely skill related!

Joe

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 am

Things are only as complicated as you make them. Nice work Terry on keeping it clean. we are , like Joe, trying to "keep it simple stupid".

we are starting to think that the forestay setting is something that can allmost be set before the regatta with our new rig. Medium breeze, a step back,(8100). breeze on.. another step back, (8050). (this is Rake setting on modern 14's measured from mainhalyard up, (Lower side of the upper black band)
to the lower transom edge , next to the gantry). The boat is well balanced in this range. Terry ,Evan you guys say that you like it all the up,(8150).
I'll stop there.. Thoughts?

Hendo.
Attachments
057.JPG

mcghan

Post by mcghan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Looks like we are taking the middle road here. Our rig was pinned on the B3 and I didn't think it was a significant handicap so might go back to that eventually. For now, I'll be happy getting used to the boat and finding settings with a bit more flexibility. Cameron kept the boat in great shape, he was just comfortable with a lot more exposed string than I am. Here is how it looks now.
Attachments
IMG_20141021_081040.jpg

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Looks good Doug. Nice work. Did you choose to only put one take up in the rack? If so, why? I assume the control lines are still continuous.

Joe

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 am

If you look in the background of the picture of Terry's boat that Evan posted, you will see a mid-cockpit control pod. If I recall, they run their major adjustments (vang, cunno) there, and rig tension adjustments (caps, shrouds, checks) to the forward rack strut.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 am

Which makes the two in front of the strut what- board up and down?

I eliminated my uppers and have self adjusting lowers. Two less things for me to worry about and provide unneeded distraction. My decision making matrix is already overloaded as it is! I can't imagine another 4 options to overlay on my taxed brain.

Terry and Evan did do a beautiful job of putting on all the options and keeping it clean, nonetheless. World class thought and execution.

mcghan

Post by mcghan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 pm

I put the take-up for vang in one rack and the take-up for cunno in the other. Those are continuous and run rack to rack across the back. The gyber take-up is minimal so I left it on the starboard side along the inside of the cockpit but it is now much shorter and fully contained behind the mid-rack pod so does not overlap control lines running from the pod forward to the purchases. The continuous gyber control line and the helm trap bungee run across the transom lower down around the rack struts. I re-used the triple blocks already lashed at the rear rack struts for gyber take-up/bungee and the crew trap bungee which now runs from one trap hook to the other.

The reasons I didn't put the gyber take-up in the racks were:
- Laziness, I wanted to minimize the number of holes I drilled in the racks
- I Ran out of bullseye fairleads and our chandlery was out
- Minimized the number of blocks/bungees in each rack for easy maintenance/repair.

I've added a picture of the starboard side here (right side up this time). One last question. Any preference for the type of line/braid used for your control lines? The boat currently has a single (12 strand) braid which looks nice but is a bit slippery and (AFAIK) can't be spliced without creating a thicker section.

Cheers,
Doug
Attachments
IMG_20141021_080643.jpg

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 pm

I replaced my single braid with double braid: FSE Robline Dinghy Control Line if I recall correctly. The core is spectra (dyneema) and I splice that together, then bury the cover far enough away from the splice that the whole spliced area is no thicker than the line itself. It seems to feel more substaintial in the hand than single braid too. Funny thing is I bought the lines slightly used from Kirk Twardowski because he was changing from double braid to single braid!
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Post by -TG » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 am

@ Joe: its busy in there, but its all super clean... thanks for the kudos. As you know myself, Bryan, and Evan worked it for a long while before the drill came out.

from the front: jib tack, jib car
on the front rack: uppers, forestay, shrouds
on the mid rail pod: cunno, vang, gyber lock

only touch the front stuff between races, or major major condition changes. all in race stuff is easy access. all led on dual sides with easy control (and 500 feet of takeups!)
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 am

Doug:

FWIW I eliminated the continuous gyber and therefore the take up. I would almost consider having it only on the starboard side to lock and the release prestart if at all. Not sure it needs to be both sides. I previously found with 24:1 cunno and vang that one side take ups were not enough. Maybe you will find differently when you get back sailing. Cameron maintained that boat beautifully and I am glad to see you seem to have the same sense of pride.

Terry where are your board up and down? Agree many adjustments are between race only which is why we opted for single side adjustment to reduce weight and complexity. Sorry to fail to acknowledge Brian Buffaloe who played a key role in the design and build of your boat. Nice work to all of you not only in the initial build but continued development.

Joe

joe.bersch

Post by joe.bersch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:22 am

Oh i forgot to add Doug all of our line is single braid 12 strand Amsteel. They call it Blue Am steel but I have red, grey, blue and black too. I buy it with my commercial fishing discount. It splices easily with a taper and it is cheap.

BTW Evan loves it too.

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 am

Shu wrote:I replaced my single braid with double braid: FSE Robline Dinghy Control Line if I recall correctly. The core is spectra (dyneema) and I splice that together, then bury the cover far enough away from the splice that the whole spliced area is no thicker than the line itself. It seems to feel more substaintial in the hand than single braid too. Funny thing is I bought the lines slightly used from Kirk Twardowski because he was changing from double braid to single braid!

Shu,
Single runs better , Double cleats better. Why would you ever buy Used Specta. We At Henderson Boat can supply anyone with FSE Robline ,and splicing.

Hendo