The new B6

Moderators: Shu, rand

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The new B6

Post by Shu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 pm

I asked Paul B. about this a couple of years ago, and he said the box-beam structure of the B6 is incredibly strong and more than stiff enough. I didn't ask, and he didn't say whether is was more or less stiff than the decked-over B5. I would be surprised if it is stiffer in response to rig loads than Joe's (now Chris R.'s) B5, given the orientation of the bulkheads in the shroud and mast-step area. A simple test of pulling on rig tension for each boat (modified for the difference in staying base) and carefully measuring the deflection of the bow and gunwales relative to the mast step would be interesting. I suspect the deflections would be very small and therefore difficult to measure in both cases.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

joe.bersch
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by joe.bersch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am

No, Dan I did not do such a study, although you are welcome to come over and do it if you want! That was a purely subjective statement based on my experience sailing both boats in a variety of windy conditions most notably San Francisco Bay (B5 only) the Columbia River Gorge (B5 and B6 extensively), Weymouth Worlds (B6 only), etc. Paul Bieker give more detail regarding the structure and bulkhead layout and distribution, laminate schedule etc. He might even be able to give you empirical data on his stiffness calculations which I think he did during the original design in 2011. While many find the simple bulkhead layout surprising, consider that the near vertical bow sections of the hull add significant strength to the structure and rig base. In addition, consider that my pre-preg B5 (like most built) had a spinnaker tunnel which requires the bulkheads and structures to be asymetrical. This is not so in the B6. I also note that many factors go into "stiffness" in my personal vernacular, not just the hull deflection which so many people myopically focus on. For instance, stiffness of the centerboard case, fit of the cassette or board into the case, deflection of the rudder gantry, the rack attachments, struts and racks themselves. These are all components of "stiffness" and form the basis of my statement.

Hendo
Boat Number: USA-1190

Post by Hendo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 am

Dan,
Thanks for your comment on "the new B6" forum. Love it .
When building America's Cup boats and having Paul Beiker as the top structural engineer
(Oracle), we learned of Paul's wisdom in load analysis. When you stepped down below the last AC boat US98 (Before The Trimaran), It looked like a spaceship from another galaxy! Traditional bulkheads were replaced with pods, tubes and snail like structures unlike anything ever seen before in boatbuilding. When Paul and the design team came up with the trimaran, Paul after a re-design of the bows ,came up with an idea ,and
the B6 was born.
With vertical sides forward and a mast tripod sitting over a main bulkhead ,set over a band of Uni directional fibers. the old X frame was out,
the new structure is lighter and stronger. As the shroud (Chainplate) location moves out to the racks and structural tubes are laminated into the rails
to the fore stay, there is no need of a fore deck less even a lighter boat. Now, short of the fore stay load, the whole rig load is contained and the
Hull just becomes a shell that goes through the water.
A B5 with the chainplates on the rail of the hull, and the forestay forward , the whole boat is loaded....
Design evolution.

Hendo.
Attachments
Kim's B-day 042.JPG
simple and clean..

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 am

034.JPG
this is the custom foredeck version boat. Dave and Trent in Hawaii.
I can't help my self,

Dan H
Boat Number: 1515

Post by Dan H » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:58 am

Guys,
Many thanks for the offer but I suspect it'd be far cheaper for me to spend a day modelling the two boats comparative structural arrangements (given respective laminate scheds hence panel stiffness) in FE than flying to the states.
If I had a day at the mo I would do it! It's on the job list.
Subjective matters of stiffness come from a variety of factors as you mention, inc global stiffness against rig loads (important) local panel stiffness (which has a contribution to global, function of laminate weight, core thickness, panel curvature, span of stiffening), as well as the "tightness" I.e the quality of construction, tolerancing and fitup, latter being a function of build quality which appears to be beyond reproach here of course.
In the same way as riding a full suspension mtb uphill, deflecting anything structural in a dynamic fashion is taking work(energy) which could have been better used overcoming drag. Furthermore, loss of forestay tension dynamically does all the wrong things to the rig, so is doubly bad.
In short, stiff (not to be confused with strong) is good as long as it's light.
I am in no way casting aspersions on Paul B's engineering cred, which is also beyond reproach.
Just my pedant engineer ness gets a bit excited if it sees qualitative rather than subjective statements made about fairly dissimilar structures, in arrangement and laminate, which have not been physically tested or modelled in another way.
I'll get back in my box now.
Keep up the good work fellas.
Dan

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:38 am

Tension dynamically,
you might want to get one of these,
B6.,
Attachments
004.JPG
gloss

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 am

So the latest has made it out of the paint booth and instantly into rigging mode.
the team quickly took to chores, splicing, drilling, tapping, and gluing.
Attachments
009.JPG
maststep clear coat

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 am

011.JPG
crew hard at work..
Rigging,

BBSCFaithfull

Post by BBSCFaithfull » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Leith looks hard at work ........
Upright not upside down!

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 am

joe's boat out 020.JPG
she see's daylight
Nice work Leith,
Today the first boat out of the new shop, Joe's new babe.
Attachments
joe's boat out 033.JPG
It's a boat load
joe's boat out 032.JPG

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:36 am

So as we prep the shop for another rocket ship, the loading for US West coast Midwinter Championships in Long Beach Caly.
this will be a good one as Joe keeps us all in tune.
Attachments
joe's boat out 036.JPG

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:46 am

Hendo here,
for all who follows, new news of boat # 2 (the red boat), is for sale.
This is a great boat.
the team wants to get a New B6 with some different rigging.
Contact for pricing .this boat is a turn key spaceship.
ready for worlds.
IMG_0516.jpg

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 am

joe's boat out 034.JPG
Today the boats and crew head home after midwinter champ's.
Henderson Boats made the podium , Gold, Silver, and Bronze. And Cameron P. and Kirk T. came in a close 5th and 6th, nice work.

We got a great pic of the newest boat ,Hull #8 about to hit the water for the first time.
Attachments
IMG_20140214_113941_844.jpg

Andrew P

Post by Andrew P » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:21 am

Kris

seeems like the russians have you in the Ukraine and scamming people.

Good Morning!!

I Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to Melitopol,(Ukraine) and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon but I am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills, I need your help/LOAN financially and I promise to make the refund once I get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if I can count on you and I need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way I can reach you.

Kris

Hendo

Post by Hendo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 am

004.JPG
Boat shop is all smiles, new boat in the mold!