Spinnaker Retrieval

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bryn_7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spinnaker Retrieval

Post by Bryn_7 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi:

We're trying to get our boat ready to sail for the new season in handicapped racing but we have a problem. Basically everything works (ish) except for the kite retrieval, the tack line and halyards run smooth but however anyone drops it, it always ends up dragging in the water as it jams going through the hole for it into the bag. We are thinking of enlarging the entrance area by moving it between the bars on spaceframe at the front of the boat.

Has anyone else had this problem??? Anyone know any killer solutions?

Thanks

Caprice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spinnaker Retrieval

Post by Caprice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:18 am

we have the same problem, is like the spi stuck in the bags hole, and doesnt enter, we have enlarge the hole, but still it stuck, we havent try yet to make the spinnaker rooler, so it guides the spinnaker better, we are going to try for that to see if it fixes this problem. it would be nice some pics or a video of the retrieval working

Bryn_7

Post by Bryn_7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Yeah, I've been looking around at video's and stuff but all the new boats have much better systems. I'm tempted to make a surround and chute out of Fibreglass, to install into the foredeck but it's a hell of a lot of work if it isn't going to help the problem.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:25 pm

I think I know what your problem may be. The spinnaker doesn't like bending around a straight bar, no matter how large the diameter. It needs a curved or arched shape to bend around.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Rockthesail

Post by Rockthesail » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Ahhh that may be one of the reasons mine doesn't work so smoothly. i was thinking of modifying the fiberglass cross piece that is more forward. does anyone have any idea to improve my setup?
Attachments
0513001638.jpg
Matt Connolly
1987 Bruce Boatworks OD14 Standard Rig "ON A PLANE"
Live Slow...Sail Fast

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 am

I would replace the straight aluminum cross piece with an arched shape.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183