Rebuilding US-1011

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
civin109
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rebuilding US-1011

Post by civin109 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Well after missing various 14's for sale here in the mid-west (not many here). I found US1011 I have my work cut out for me but that was kind of the plan. Anyone know anything of either US902 or US1011 both were built by the same guy. I was told US1011 was hastily built for the US Nationals on Lake Pepin in the 80's and thats about all I know. The hull looks more like a Cherub, or 12' skiff than a modern 14.
Attachments
PA210014.JPG
PA210013.JPG
PA210012.JPG
PA210011.JPG
PA210008.JPG

brucetr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rebuilding US-1011

Post by brucetr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 am

There is a book called "Sloop" by Daniel Robb about the joys and values of restoring an old wooden boat. It takes a lot of time and you have to enjoy the process. I will warn you that the International 14 needs a lot of blocks and line that don't come cheaply. Old parts are hard to find and most of the items you need you will have to design and make yourself-including possibly foils and sails.

Good luck,

Bruce R
US 1047

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Sloop is an excellent book.

any restoration project is going to be a labor of love. Just know going in that you won't get out ($$) what you put in. But that is the case with any boat project! :lol:
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I think it is one of two Gary Mull designs that were built in the early 80's by Rod Terbeest. The mull pedigree would be the most valuable thing about he boat. Rod, while enthusiastic and well meaning never really got the boats sorted out.
What you have is molded hull by one of America's great designers, but little else. the hull itself may well be questionable given its obvious neglect. Good luck.
What was I thinking?