I14 penultimate 1268

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bryn_7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I14 penultimate 1268

Post by Bryn_7 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knew anything more about the boat because me and some friends have bought it and want to give racing it a go? \Also if we took it to an open event or say the nationals how far off the pace do you think it would be??

Thanks

Bryn

sailnaked6842
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: I14 penultimate 1268

Post by sailnaked6842 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 pm

to say the least, quite far

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

But don't let that deter you. We have all been through it. The first thing you try to do is just survive around the course. Once your can finish some races, you start working on sailing competently around the course. Eventually, you start racing. Once you are sailing competently around the course and want to be competitive, it will be time to upgrade from that Penny to a new rules boat. As long as you have useable sails, get that learning phase done on your penny.
And don't worry about being off the pace. The fleet is very understanding. Just don't insist on finishing a multi-lap course when everyone else has finished and is waiting for the next start. Abandon your race and sail back to the starting area.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am

Sorry, didn't have time to post much earlier. But I'll second that as Shu said earlier, sailing a 14 is very difficult. I'm a 470 sailor who just got one a few weeks ago and I'm still working on keeping it upright for more than 15 minutes at a time. Tacks are a different story and I won't even think about gybing in anything over 10 knots of breeze. It takes A LOT of practice and A LOT of getting to know how you and your crew (or skipper) will work together so communication is vital. But again, sort of reiterating what Shu said it wouldn't hurt to do regatta's and get involved with the fleet. Meet some of the guys and talk to them; they were there once so they will all have good advice about what works for them. Try a few things out, experiment and things will get a lot easier. Oh and practice. And practice a little more.

Bryn_7

Post by Bryn_7 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:09 am

Thanks guys. We've sailed it a bit and we really do enjoy it, I'll talk to the other people involved and see what they think.

I can understand what are saying about it being slow and us probably being useless it's what a thought I just wanted to get some knowledge from you guys who are in the know about it.

Thanks

Ed Clay

Post by Ed Clay » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am

Bryn
Yes a penultimate will be off the pace - they are narrower and have less sail - but please don't let that put you off coming to events. As the other guys say penultimates are a great way to learn how to sail 14s and coming to an event speeds up that process massively. At events everyone will be more than happy to give advice and hints that will speed up your learning - plus it's a good bunch of people to drink beer with.
From your sail number I guess you are in the UK, so have a look at the calendar on www.gbr.international14.org. Penultimates are welcome at any event and I hope to see you at one soon.
Cheers
Ed

Bryn_7

Post by Bryn_7 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Picture for you guys, She looks old as well.
Attachments
Sails.jpg

mihnea

Post by mihnea » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 pm

oh, how I wish I could find one around here... :(
Canada's just not the place for them, I guess.

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Those sails look to be in pretty good condition. By the way, even though we say the penny is slower, it is faster than just about anything else, save a new rules 14 or a 49er. Go out and have a blast.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

H4
Boat Number: 1354

Post by H4 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am

I'm a year on now with an old boat, we think from 1989 no number on the boat or sails.
I sail in a mixed fleet with B14, Laser 5000, RS800 and the racing is often close until we swim on a PY of 898.
I'm planning on getting to some 14 events next year so maybe there will be some competition, maybe they could give us old boats fewer laps?

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Sailing fewer laps is usually done informally. Here in the states, we sometimes get an understanding race committee that will finish boats that are seriously behind "on the course". They give you a place based on your position at the time, and then you proceed to the start area for the next race.

Otherwise the protocol is to not make the rest of the fleet wait for you an inordinate amount of time. Examples:
1. You are rounding the last weather mark, and most of the fleet is already milling about the start area. There might be a boat or two at the leeward mark or beating to the finish. Just sail straight to the finish area and take your DNF. If you are last, the score will be the same or nearly the same as if you finished.
2. You are on the final run and capsize, you russian roll a few times, and when you are back upright, most of the fleet has already finished. Just head straight to the finish; don't round the leeward mark.
I could provide more examples, but you get the idea. You will find that the 14 fleet is very welcoming to newcomers, and we've all been through that first steep part of the learning curve so we can sympathize.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183