Kite size

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
hawkeye
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kite size

Post by hawkeye » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Hello,

I'm restoring an One Design 14 with Grand Prix rig and is missing the kite. My thinking is to go to a local sailmaker but I need to know the dimension on luff, leech and foot for the (non masthead) kite.

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kite size

Post by Shu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 am

Someone here may have those dimensions. However, assymetric spinnaker design has advanced greatly since the OD14. You might be better off having a sailmaker design the spinnaker based on your boat's dimensions. I would measure, or better yet have the sailmaker measure, the distance from mast to spin-pole tip, gunwale to spin-halyard block, spin-halyard block to spin-pole tip, spin-pole tip to spin-sheet block and spin-sheet block to spin-halyard block. He may even recommend moving the sheet block forward, and shortening the foot dimension. Maximum possible size doesn't necessarily = maximum speed.

And use a sailmaker who has experience designing skiff sails.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

hawkeye

Re: Kite size

Post by hawkeye » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Thank's for the answer!

Good information about modern spinnaker design. Still I would like to get hold of the original dimensions as some sort of referens.