Broken mast

Moderators: Shu, rand

sailnaked6842
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Broken mast

Post by sailnaked6842 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:59 am

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the 14's and have a couple questions. First off, I went out today and it was blowing between 15 and 20 gusting to 28 and ended up breaking my mast. It wasn't a bad break, just a weird one that looks like it'll be a challenge to fix. The thing is, I have no idea how to fix it and I was wondering if any of you more experienced guys had any input. There's a picture of it and basically what happened is the shroud pulled down when I was slammed with a gust. But the other questions are how much rig tension do you put on when you're going out into 20+ conditions and how much wind can these boats really handle? Is the pre-bender on the mast really important once the wind kicks up or is it just so the mast doesn't explode once the spinnaker fills? Any rigging techniques for heavy wind would be appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
P6281443.JPG

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Broken mast

Post by Shu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 pm

That's an interesting zipper. There are others on this forum that are better at spar repairs than I, and I hope they respond to this, but here is my best estimate of what needs to be done:

1. Remove the hardware and mainsail track and cut the mast in two pieces at the "zipper"
2. Obtain carbon sleeve material with same OD as your mast's ID. The sleeve needs to be long enough to extend 3 diameters beyond the break. Epoxy glue the sleeve into the two mast sections.
3. Grind a taper onto the original mast ends at each side of the break. The taper needs to start from zero (the OD of the sleeve) to the OD of the original mast.
4. Apply sufficient layers of carbon cloth to fill the tapered area to the original mast OD (plus maybe a little if in doubt) and either vacuum bag it or wrap it tightly with electrical tape.
5. Apply a few extra layers of cloth where the T-ball base-plates go.
6. Re-glue the mainsail track on
7. Cut the holes and re-install the T-ball base-plates.

You can also try the search function for mast repair and glueing mainsail tracks, as these have been discussed before on this forum.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

ians

Post by ians » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:10 am

wow!

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 am

haha, yea. It was a really exciting kite run til I was slammed with a 25 knot gust. Mast sounded like it exploded then we capsized, I'm sure you guys know how it is. Fun as hell for the 15 seconds we were upright.

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 am

And thanks for the advice Shu, I've got some carbon coming in on the 7th so hopefully we'll get some replies and the boat will be back on the water soon. By the way, I saw the pictures of the boat you were building. Impressive, to say the least

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:22 am

Not sure where you were in the boat when this happened, but being on the trapeze lowers the force on the shrouds. When it gets squirrely and I have to stay seated with the crew behind me on the trapeze (gets weight further aft) I have resorted to hanging on to the trap handle to help the shrouds out a bit.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:25 am

Oh, and keep the mainsheet in fairly tight. That helps hold the rig up too.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:24 am

Vang, Kicker or what ever it is called in your neck of the woods.

Keeps the correct shape in your main, even when you ease the sheet in the puffs (do not forget to let it off the vang a bit when heading downhill, or jibes will be quick and wet!)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

mechoption

Post by mechoption » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:07 am

Shu wrote:Not sure where you were in the boat when this happened, but being on the trapeze lowers the force on the shrouds. When it gets squirrely and I have to stay seated with the crew behind me on the trapeze (gets weight further aft) I have resorted to hanging on to the trap handle to help the shrouds out a bit.
You can always trapeze with your crew trapezing on your shoulders - gets the weight really far back and far out, although you'd probably need really long trapeze wires and maybe some back support :mrgreen:
Cross III Penultimate I14, 1986, "Grin", CAN519
Kirby 1? I14, 1968, "Agamemnon", CAN324 (sold)

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:14 am

You can always trapeze with your crew trapezing on your shoulders - gets the weight really far back and far out, although you'd probably need really long trapeze wires and maybe some back support
I can think of so many ways that could hurt you.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 am

You can always trapeze with your crew trapezing on your shoulders - gets the weight really far back and far out, although you'd probably need really long trapeze wires and maybe some back support :mrgreen:[/quote]

haha, and if you pitch poled the swing around the fore-stay would be second to none if you were lucky enough to miss the shrouds.

And i finally got around to repairing the mast the other day. I talked to a local guy who builds carbon DN masts and carbon wind turbine blades and more or less what he said was to grind the mast down to a taper around the tear and lay strips of carbon that gradually get bigger on it. I had to cover the original hole for the shroud but there was a second on there so that was no big deal. But thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

sailnaked6842

Post by sailnaked6842 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:09 am

And one other question for you Shu; Do you know if there's any 14 fleets in the chicago area? I might end up taking a job out there and it would be pretty cool to have people to race against

ians

Post by ians » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 pm

sailnaked6842 wrote:And one other question for you Shu; Do you know if there's any 14 fleets in the chicago area? I might end up taking a job out there and it would be pretty cool to have people to race against
I'm 4.5 hours away at Carlyle, IL. I'm new to the boat but would love someone to sail against occasionally.

- ian

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:59 am

"haha, and if you pitch poled the swing around the fore-stay would be second to none if you were lucky enough to miss the shrouds."

The crew would be the lucky one. I think the helm would be guaranteed a visit with the shrouds.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:42 am

I landed on my crew, who landed on the forestay. If you are on the wire, that is generally where you go (usually backwards).

Thanks to Renee Speak for being in the right place at the right time!
Attachments
DSC_1721.jpg
Photo by Renee Speak
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)