Split fleets

Moderators: Shu, rand

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Which statement closest fits your views on split fleets at future worlds?

I was in the gold fleet and would like to see split fleets at all future worlds
12%
I was in the gold fleet and would be happy to have split fleets if it allows us to go to good sailing venues and have high entry numbers (e.g. Garda, Hawaii) but would rather have single fleet racing when possible
19%
I was in the gold fleet and don't want to do split fleet racing again
4%
I was in the silver fleet and would like to see split fleets at all future worlds
No votes
I was in the silver fleet and would be happy to have split fleets if it allows us to go to good sailing venues and have high entry numbers (e.g. Garda, Hawaii) but would rather have single fleet racing when possible
15%
I was in the silver fleet and don't want to do split fleet racing again
4%
I wasn't in Sydney but would like to see split fleets at all future worlds
8%
I wasn't in Sydney and would be happy to have split fleets if it allows us to go to good sailing venues and have high entry numbers (e.g. Garda, Hawaii) but would rather have single fleet racing when possible
35%
I wasn't in Sydney and don't want to do split fleet racing
4%

Total votes: 26

Ed Clay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Split fleets

Post by Ed Clay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 pm

As you will know due to the high entry numbers, limited space and the Manly Ferries we ended up having split fleets at the Sydney worlds. There has been lots of discussion before, during and after the event on the merits or otherwise of split fleets, both in the dinghy park and on Sailing Anarchy http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=102530, but it would be interesting to get a more formal set of views so we can make future events what the fleet want.

Please add a vote to the poll and any comments you have below.

Cheers

Ed

Fréd.
Boat Number: GBR 1463
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fréd. » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm

I wasn't in Sydney but would like to see split fleets at all future worlds.
From my point of view, it allows more interesting contest for those how would be in the top ten of the silver fleet rather than in the middle of a single fleet. Of course, this works only if there is a sufficient number of boats, but it's always the case at the Worlds.

Cheers, :wink:
Fréd (from France!)
B2 GBR 1463 - Beast is an other kind of Croc' Image

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

I didn't go. But I have enjoyed the huge fleets (100+ at times) that we've had at the seven worlds that I did go to.

I find that I race near the same boats during the regatta no matter how well or poorly I'm doing for that event, so splitting up the fleet into two wouldn't change who I sail with.

The single line we had in Melbourne with 120 boats starting was insane, you couldn't see both ends of the line, but the split lines that we have done in other worlds were great.

Another option to consider, is gold and silver fleets that start and race together. Best of both worlds if we have the room.

Oh and I like the punishingly long races, I've never been much of a sprinter, more of a long distance guy :)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

BWR

Post by BWR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:53 am

I was in Sydney and ended up mid Gold fleet. Was definately necessary in Sydney, however I still think I like the larger fleets and longer races. Starting was at such a premium in the gold fleet. When you got off the line well, you were alright, if at all late (or more often not over by enough) you were done. I would love to have seen the line on some of the starts that actually went. I know some of the photographers who were looking down the line couldn't believe they were letting some of the starts go w/o individual or general recalls. Guess they brought it on themselves by letting the early BFDs back in. In any event, a great event and split fleets could be helpful to allow sailing at some other incredible venues. Not sure I want to spoil the PAC Rims experience w/ a worlds type event though. People should come to experience Pac Rims for what they are.. Andy's big party!

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 am

BWR wrote: People should come to experience Pac Rims for what they are.. Andy's big party!
Agree, but I wouldn't mind Andy's big party lasting 9 days!
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183