our club i14 (we need some help)

Moderators: Shu, rand

phegan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

our club i14 (we need some help)

Post by phegan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:35 am

Hi all, our college sailing club has an older i14 that has not been in the water for a few years. A couple of us have staked our reputations on the fact that we can get this boat on the lake this spring. Unfortunately the folks who know stuff about it have graduated and moved on. We could really use some of the forum community help in re-rigging this boat. the mast is being repaired this week (due to a previous shroud failure). The hull is in fair shape but the standing rigging is a shambles. it seems some things were CUT loose from the mast. We have fabricating capabilities and can make new parts. The only thing we cant find is the bowsprit( it may be at the bottom of the lake). We will probably try and fabricate a new one if we can get some dimensions. Two of us will be monitoring the forum for any insight offered. Here is some basic info:
Renssellaer Polytechnic Institute Sailing Club
Hull # 1044
Saratoga lake (upstate New York)
Thanks to all in advance, Padraic

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 pm

The more experienced among us will be able to ascertain quite a bit about your project boat based on the hull number. If you can post detail pictures of the problem areas, I think we can give you some sound advice. It's great to see some college sailors getting into a 14 (particularly a wood one).
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 pm

Design looks like a wooden Pawlick?

In any case rigged like a Cross III.

But as Shu says, post your questions we'll do our best to sort it out.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

phegan

Post by phegan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks, What we are looking for first is just a basic diagram showing the rigging. Even a hi quality pic would be a big help. Right now all we have to go by are some grainy youtube ish videos and a little reverse engineering. But in fact, any information provided will go into the pot of information we are compiling. When we get the mast back to the boat the plan is to step it while the hull is on its side. This way we will have access to all parts of the mast and hull from the ground level. Classes start next week and i will get the back to the hull and try and start untangling the mess. other members of the club said if would be too difficult to put back together and it cant be done. but, in my opinion, maybe they are just afraid to sail it and it might make them look bad. From the looks of previous posts i14 drivers and crew are a serious about their sailing, i know we are in good hands here.

Thanks folks. Padraic

rand

Post by rand » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:40 pm

I'll work on some diagrams.

But so you don't get discouraged, my first 14 was a bare hull, I had to put in a floor before I could rig it, much more work than you face :)
Rand Arnold

phegan

Post by phegan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 am

Thanks Rand, anything you can do will be awesome.My sailing partner and i both have large keelboat sailing experience and are new to the dingy sailing. We can hold are own though.
I have to say, the speed at which things happen on the dingys is pretty intense and exhilarating. I'm sure the i14 is totaly different animal than the 420.

Padraic

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 am

phegan wrote: the speed at which things happen on the dingys is pretty intense and exhilarating. I'm sure the i14 is totaly different animal than the 420.

Padraic
Your observation would be correct :shock: :D
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

Shu

Post by Shu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:16 am

You would be surprised by the number of folks here who have put new rigs, sprits, etc. in their boats, built rigs from bare tubes, built boats from bare hulls, taken existing hulls apart, redesigned them and put them back together, etc. Post pics of the problem areas, ask your questions and you should get some good advice.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

JSW225

Post by JSW225 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Can we have a better picture of the Mast area? Something higher quality that we can draw on.

Is the boom lying around somewhere?

brucetr

Post by brucetr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Some sources for the rebuild:

Search this forum with "penny" and "penultimate" and you will get a number of photos of rigged older boats and some diagrams.

Harken and Ronstan have dinghy rigging diagrams under Tech Specs. Pick an example and just try it--that's how most of the older boats were done anyway. That's the beauty of the I14: you can rig it almost anyway you want.

The only diagram I have ever seen published of I14 rigging is in Royce's Sailing Illustrated. It is very detailed and should apply to your boat. Get a copy at the library or bookstore and look it over. Let me know if you can't find a copy and I can mail you a scan. I don't want to post it without publisher's permission.

Good luck. You can do this project.

Bruce
USA 1047

brucetr

Post by brucetr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:45 am

This is example of a mainsheet set up. See http://www.harken.com/rigtips/mainsheet.php for specifics.

Now all you need is the jib rigging and sheets, spinnaker halyard and sheet system, spinnaker launch pole set up, shrouds (upper and lower) with any adjusters, and a vang. No problem for a Red Hawk. It is all lines and pulleys--high school physics.

Bruce

phegan

Post by phegan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes we have the boom, but i have to get the keys to the Sail locker where all that stuff is stored.We just had the club elections tonight and this is the first week of school. Hopefully some time next week we will take some decent pics of the layout and of all the equipment (dagger boards, rudder, tiller or lack there of, and sails). We have had a spell of warm weather (and wind), so we already starting to think about the new sailing season. It seems just around the corner when its warm like this. I have a bunch of books on their way from the northeast library system. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Cheers, Padraic

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?u ... feat=email

JSW225

Post by JSW225 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 am

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Picture #3, Far Right Side, 2 cleats: These are for boom vang and mainsail downhaul. Exactly how they are rigged up is difficult to tell, but with mine the gist is that you a several power pulley system down to a block on the deck. Through this block you feed a line back, and up the sides to give it another power, and the ability to adjust either on the fly from the rail on both sides of the boat.

This picture shows where the lines turn up to the sides.

This picture shows the mess of what's going on near the base of the mast. The grey line on the right and upper right of the picture are the several power boom vang. The white green line near the right side of the mast is the cunningham. (Your boat has vang and cunningham cleats together, mine separated).

The red/pink line going up the mast is part of the one line Spinnaker and Spinnaker pole system. The pink line near the front of the mast is for the forestay adjustment system.

Back to your pictures:

Pic #3, Cutout into the side is for the spinnaker to be sheeted across the boat. The lead block is on the left side of pic #2.

How the black poles (which I'm pretty sure support the mast) work are beyond me.
Last edited by JSW225 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rand

Post by rand » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Great pictures, thanks.

This boat was built by Larry Craig, and sailed by him for many years here in San Francisco. There are a few great stories with this boat (and Larry!)
Rand Arnold

rand

Post by rand » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Ok, here is my guess as to the function of the five cleats along the rail.

From the bow:
1. Forestay adjustment, this would end with a connection to a 1/8" 7x19 wire coming out of the front of the mast which should have a 2-1 where it comes out at the top to attach the forestay to.

2. Main shrouds

3. Cunningham

4. Boom vang

5. Main sheet bridle, which would be attached to those pad eyes just forward and to each side of the mainsheet cleat.

There may be a separate launch for the pole and for the spin halyard, this boat was built we we were merging the two together. The smaller cleat on the floor in front of the trunk may be the spin halyard, the larger one mounted high may be the pole launcher

The spin sheet will go though the turning block on the rail and the forward, probably though another block near the shrouds (no cleat) and across to the crew. This would be a single continuous sheet.

The jib sheet will probably go through the ratchet on the track and then down forward to the turning block with the cleat. This may either be a single sheet or, two sheets with the ends tied to the trap handles. It may also be a single sheet tied in the middle to the clue, with the ends tied to the handles.

See simple!
Rand Arnold