Upgrade of US1112

Moderators: Shu, rand

Pirate

Re: Upgrade of US1112 - Sails, vang & coach

Post by Pirate » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 am

Now that we have the boat working great and measurement weight is 71 kgs the next project is sails. What do you recommend. For next September we need a full suit. The mast is very stiff. We saw Glaser mains on the Cats at the HPDOs and they look great! We want to take advantage of the fall discounts.

Should we do an above boom vang or keep what we have.

We are looking for some coaching help in May to get past our 15kt barrier.

Ed & Matt

Pirate

Re: Upgrade of US1112

Post by Pirate » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 am

Hope Alan goes to the Worlds so I won't be the oldest!

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 am

Glazer, North, Alexander and Alygator were all represented at the US Nationals, all did well. The trick you will have is finding a main to match your mast bend. If who ever you go with won't work with you to get an accurate measure of how your mast bends, then I would talk to another sail maker...

If you want fall discounts, then I wouldn't buy from Australia (spring there! :) )
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Sandy was almost a disaster!
IMG_20121029_132439.jpg
Thought this was a good idea!
Then this happened!
IMG_20121030_133344.jpg
Direct Hit!
Called insurance company to see if replacement value could be claimed. :D

They said I was nuts! :(

So, fired up the chain saw.
IMG_20121030_142349.jpg
Only minor nicks and scrapes
So, its onward to new sails and maybe a jiber!

rand

Post by rand » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 am

Yikes! Looks like sandy mostly didn't like non sailors :)

You have quite the fleet there!
Rand Arnold

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 am

We measured the mast bend. Hanging 50 kg at the midpoint was a little scary!

Jay at Glaser sent us the bends for an ICE mast and we are way stiffer. Numbers came out like this
Head=0
1000=96
2000=148
3000=165
4000=151
5000=111
6000=50
7000=0

I am wondering if I can take off the uppers?

We have pretty much decided to go with Glaser for a main and jib. there was a remarkable difference between the jib i made and the old jib. So, the new sail will make a huge difference. At least in my mind! No, I am notgoingto the Worlds with a homebuilt jib!

We are kind of up in the air about the chute.

I set up a MS Project schedule for the work we need to do this winter so we are ready to sail in the spring.

Oak cliff is purchasing 8 49ers and we hope to be able to race with them starting in May.

I am going to do Frostbiting at SCYC in Lasers to build back my skill set and we are starting a physical training program to keep me limber this winter.

rand

Post by rand » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am

Upwind, uppers don't do much, except maybe keep your mast from falling off to leeward a bit. Downwind, they keep the top of your mast in one piece when you put up the kite.

I wouldn't take them off!
Rand Arnold

BWR

Post by BWR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 am

That rig is every bit as stiff as the B6 rig I would think. We were trying to figure out how to get more bend 14 yrs ago when we had it. Not sure I would pull off the uppers. but I would have a lot of cuningham purchase available.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Matt & I did the final design review on the control mounting and location this weekend.

We decided to mount the controls to a material called Starboard which is a little heaver than wood but for the small amount we are using we thought the delta was acceptable. Starboard permits melting the nuts into the material to hold them captive. This was more complex than we thought. First the holes were drilled. Then we put a nut on a bolt with some bolt protruding and heated it with a torch slightly. This does not require a lot of heat. Then the protruding part of the bolt was pressed into the Starboard until the nut was below the surface. A ring of material was pushed up around the nut. This had to be removed. Removal is much easier right after the nut is pressed in as the material is still soft. After a few seconds the bolt is backed out of the nut. The process of melting and pushing the nut into the existing hole plugged the hole and filled the nut with hard starboard. So, the holes had to be redrilled and the threads in the nut chased. This material is not particularly nice to work with inspite of what the ads say. First it cannot be kept clean.
IMG_20120318_131510[1].jpg
Sticking it to the hull is a second issue. The web is a little confusing about this. We roughened the bonding surface with 60 grit sandpaper and stuck it to the hull with our friend 5200. Since we are coverning it with several layers of carbon to hold it captive we think it will work. It gets us away from the original issue of the wood rotting and the hardware pulling out.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Well we have been a little busy sailing in what little wind we have had. Glaser built a great main for us and we are learning how to use it. Had to add a 12:1 cunningham purchase to get the spar to bend. The found the main halyard was stretching. We are having a lot of trouble getting the battens to tack even with the tension very loose.

Yesterday we were double trapping and there was a big bang. Found that the Selden lower spreader bracket (1402) broken. Everyone is out of stock so, perhaps we could a carbon one. Looking into that.

rand

Post by rand » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 pm

We had the batten problem with our last main, too full for too stiff a mast in our case. The new setup only needs a gentle tug if that to pop the battens.

Generally, my crew would rail on the Cunningham after the tack as I pumped the main, gybes just sucked :(

Keep working until you find the technique that works on your boat.
Rand Arnold

Northshore Pirate
Boat Number: 1112

Post by Northshore Pirate » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Well the development continues. The mast is straight as an arrow, so, after troubleshooting the problem, the current spreaders tip are in line between the hounds and the chainplates. When tensioning the shrouds there is no forward force which is needed to bend the mast. I decided to make longer carbon spreaders to replace the aluminum ones. I had some structural foam left from another job. So, here are some PIC of progress.
Spreader Tip.jpg
Outboard End View
Spreader Root.jpg
Spreader Root
The tip will have a receptacle for a Selden spreader tip so the length can be adjusted.

Northshore Pirate

Post by Northshore Pirate » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Making progress on the spreaders. Used 1/2" foam core and this shows one wrap of carbon. Since is the first time I didn't want to do all 4 wraps and find out the process wasn't working. As it is the carbon is a little stiff to do this so I have more flexible carbon coming.

Need to figure out the layup schedule to bond them to the mast. When I made the 'T' foil rudder I think it was about 4 layers.
[/attachment]
Spreader expanded end.jpg
Shows end of spreader with slot for the tip.
Attachments
Spreader 1st layer of carbon.jpg
Spreader with first layer of carbon

Northshore Pirate

Post by Northshore Pirate » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Have the third layer of carbon over the foam core. Was planning on 4, but, they seem pretty stiff. Any thoughts?

Planning on bonding them directly to the mast for several reasons:
* Want to cover the holes from the old spreaders
* Seems the simplest way.
*Doesn't seem to be a difference between making a collar and directly bonding.