Pre-war I-14, WHIRLY

Moderators: Shu, rand

WHIRLY
Boat Number: unknown

Pre-war I-14, WHIRLY

Post by WHIRLY » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:50 am

Gentlemen,
I recently acquired a very old lapstrake I-14 in remarkably good condition. It was on eBay in the "boat parts" section, perhaps because the hull was the only item for sale. All the running gear is missing. The name WHIRLY is on the transom, as are the initials RCYC for the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. No name, markings or numbers can be found anywhere on the boat. In 1950 it was registered in Toronto harbor, and later in the state of Ohio. The boat seems to be a transitional model between the LSSA cat rigged types and the Canadian I-14's with a jib. There were some sail battens in the bottom of the hull with the number KC142, which is supposed to be from the 1950's. I am pretty sure WHIRLY is much older than that. There has been a recent posting about WHIRLY with photos and comments on Rod Mincher's blog: http://cbifda.blogspot.com

My goal is to research the history enough to nail down the builder(leaning towards Toronto's George Corneil) and find an original mast, boom, sails etc. if possible. I will keep her original and ultimately want to sail her again. Anyone out there who might know of original gear for sale and knowledge of these classic dinghies that can help, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Pre-war I-14, WHIRLY

Post by rand » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Paul and Yvonne (Paul Galvez & YMGALVEZ) have two old 14s, a lapstrake and a hot molded one. They might have some info advise etc for you.

(I'll make sure they see your post).
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)