Taking an M12 to Oz. Questions!

Moderators: Shu, rand

Simon Nelson

Taking an M12 to Oz. Questions!

Post by Simon Nelson » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:50 pm

I am moving to Sydney in the New Year and cannot decide whether to bring my M12 with me. The boat is immaculate hardly sailed and is quick (for an M12 :wink: ).

The question is, should I bring the boat with me or sell it in the UK and buy something in Oz. If I don't get into sailing the boat in Sydney, what would it be worth? I guess my worry is that if I sell the boat in the UK, I will not buy one in Oz and I will regret not taking the boat yet if I take it with, I won't use it!

Am I right in saying that the 14 scene is all at the Flying Squadron? It seems that only a few boats go out and they are a little old. Nothing wrong that but would there be any competition? What is the situation getting a decent crew?

Any advice welcomed.

dave

Post by dave » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:02 am

bring it on down you wont regret sailing on the harbour, or south and north of the city for that matter at one of the many clubs.
You wont have any trouble finding crew there is heaps of intrest down that way.
hamilton island crusing yacht club
SPEED RECORD HOLDER
for henning island

burger

Post by burger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:45 am

give Sydney the arse Melbourne is where the action is, it`s not uncommon to get 20 top 14 in a club race.................

Simon Nelson

Post by Simon Nelson » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:57 pm

burger wrote:give Sydney the arse Melbourne is where the action is, it`s not uncommon to get 20 top 14 in a club race.................
Sorry. No offence intended, particularly as I have good friends in Melbourne, but I couldn't live there. In addition, it's Sydney or nowhere for many reasons - work, my wife comes from there, family live there etc.

The 14 sailing might be better there but I will stick to Sydney.
bring it on down you wont regret sailing on the harbour
I love sailing on the harbour but I think there are other classes where I would get better cmpetition. Or am I wrong?

bStrong

Post by bStrong » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:34 am

Definately bring it.
Theres a guy called ollie who has a beiker 3 who will be sailing from the squadron.
Also the worlds are there in a few years so what better chance to practice.
Lynx 352

Mark K

Post by Mark K » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 am

Hi Simon, I strongly recommend bringing your 14 out to Oz. Heaps of sun, warn water, excellent sailing breezes and a 14 class with over 100 years of history! We are working on developing the fleet in Sydney and with the worlds in 2010 I am sure there will be much interest from other skiff sailors.

Mark K
I14 Vic. President
Mark AUS656

OliG

Sydney Sailing

Post by OliG » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:33 am

G'day Mark

Oliver here from Sydney, I just purchased a Bieker 3 after coming back from the worlds in LA. This is my third and newest fourteen to date so if you did bring your boat there would be good racing for you in Sydney.

The NSW fleet is only going to keep getting stronger, if you bring your boat over you won't regret it.

Last season I travelled alot going to Auzzie titles in Queensland and Victorian state titles. So I could always put tandem racks on my trailor.

Check out the website if haven't already http://www.i14nsw.org/

Also If your over in Early January I might need a crew for Geelong.

Cheers Oliver
oliver_merz1@hotmail.com

OliG

I can sail just bad at names

Post by OliG » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am

G'day Simon

The last post was directed you just called you Mark by mistake instead.

Whoops

Oliver