going for a record, and trying new things in an OD

Moderators: Shu, rand

yarrow
Boat Number: USA 1134

going for a record, and trying new things in an OD

Post by yarrow » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:23 pm

to the forum,
well late in the day, I went out for a sail with my new skipper in training. we found out that when you capsize with the kit up it's much easier to water start with out putting the kite away. we also found that sailing at night in a harbor can be very interesting, with out any lights. (just wanted to confirm if any other I-14's have sailed at night before?)
I understand this can be seen as rubbish for interesting post,
cheers,
yarrow
B-3 USA 1134
Freedom 25: w/ carbon rotating wing spar
I sail out of Newport RI as a member of NSF: http://nsf.skiffsailing.us

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:37 am

I would like to know your specific technique for a "water start" with the kite still out and about. Sounds like a good way to get yourself in the market for a new kite. As for sailing without lights at night in a 14, sounds fun; but probably illegal as can be. I hope Avram doesn't have to come bail your but out of jail...
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Post by rand » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:39 am

In my experience... you can only successfully water start if there is so little wind that you probably shouldn't have capsized in the first place.

Gary and I used to consistently get back up and going after capsizing in less than a minute (this includes dropping the kite, but not putting it back up).

When you capsize, get one person on the board, the other drops the kite, fast before it gets under water.
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

yarrow
Boat Number: USA 1134

Post by yarrow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:05 pm

to the forum,
well sailing an OD is the basis to all the answers here. we were sailing in very puffy weather. we had the kite up and would capisise, we decided to try and save it with out dropping the kite this worked about 6 times 2 men on the board, get her up and grab the traps and take off. I can tell you that it would impossible with racks etc.
as for sailing at night this was not planed, but it happened I think we are working on a location for an outboard and some lights.
cheers,
yarrow t
ps. if the boat is hot pink or yellow does this qualify as lights?
B-3 USA 1134
Freedom 25: w/ carbon rotating wing spar
I sail out of Newport RI as a member of NSF: http://nsf.skiffsailing.us