Looking into I14's

Moderators: Shu, rand

tburd678

Looking into I14's

Post by tburd678 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm looking at buying an I14, I was wondering how hard or easy it is to move into the class. I'm based in new england, mostly I was wondering what the fleet is like in the area. The boat seems to present a problem unto itself, I'm looking at a few, but I don't know about how to tell what's race legal and what I would need to change on a boat I bought. Lastly, would an old boat be competitive? It looks to me that with new technology coming around I would be pressed to keep up, both sailing-wise and financially. Thanks for any tips or help you can offer, I'd love to try to make the jump into the boat.

yarrow
Boat Number: USA 1134

I-14 help in New England

Post by yarrow » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 pm

to
as for I-14 help, I'm new as well and have been rebuilding an OD-14. As for help though, we are building a small but strong fleet here in Newport RI. we sail a good amount and just hosted the CoCo Cup with over 8 I-14's on the line for the weekend. I would encourage you to come meet our fleet and get some first hand knowledge of what to look for to meet your budget and ability to be compeditive.
cheers,
yarrow
providence RI.
B-3 USA 1134
Freedom 25: w/ carbon rotating wing spar
I sail out of Newport RI as a member of NSF: http://nsf.skiffsailing.us