Poll: StFYC Fall Dinghy Regatta in 2015?

Moderators: Shu, rand

StFYC Fall Dinghy Regatta: are you in?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:19 am

Yes, I hella want to sail SF CityFront
60%
No, I only like light air and flat water
No votes
Not sure, but will go, rig up, send it and drink lots of beer afterwards regardless of result
20%
Why did we ever stop sailing there?
No votes
I know why we stopped sailing there, but we need to get back
20%
No, I only do road trips for big events
No votes

Total votes: 10

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Poll: StFYC Fall Dinghy Regatta in 2015?

Post by -TG » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 am

Kirk and I are discussing putting the SF CityFront Fall Dinghy back on the schedule... are you in? It could be light that time of year, but its SF so you know its going to turn on at some point. Would be epic, flash and glamorous regardless... besides, what could go wrong? Let us know and we'll contact StFYC and push to get us added.

-TG
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

rand
Boat Number: USA 1143

Re: Poll: StFYC Fall Dinghy Regatta in 2015?

Post by rand » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Hmm, how about launching and retrieval are a pain in the ass and we capsize so much that StFYC disinvited us...

I'd consider it if I could sail this year, will consider for 2016 :)
Rand Arnold
International 14 USA 1143
"A Bumblebee Called Kate"
(former US President, former US Measurer)

BWR

Post by BWR » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 am

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am probably one of the main reasons we stopped doing the Spring Dinghy about 13-14 yrs. ago. We used to travel to St. Francis routinely to sail the Spring Dinghy in mid Mar. The last time I was there we went out in nice weather in the morning. Several Laser kids were out in board shorts because it was so nice early. The breeze came up, temps. dropped and it started to rain / sleet on us. All the rescue boats were pulling in lasers with freezing kids on them. We spent about 45 min. reaching back and forth on the start line in an ebb tide in about 20 kts. of breeze. Not fun, or easy, as most of us know. Worst 'Ice Cream Headache' I've ever had. Yes, Colder than Toronto Worlds last yr. I said I'm never going back! The following weekend was the San Diego NOOD which had one dinghy class in the south bay. I asked it we could sail the following year and the 14s have been sailing there ever since. I did check with the fleet at the time and everyone who was at the last SFYC Spring dinghy agreed they would rather do the SD NOOD back then. Tough to do 2 big travel races on back to back weekends. Not to say can't start sailing out of St. Francis again, but as Rand noted, there has been some concern re: the fleet in the past. I think we have advanced a fair bit since then, i.e. T-foils. Just a short history lesson!

-TG
Boat Number: USA 1187

Post by -TG » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 am

Yeah, I don't think we are considering this for March. That would put it in the middle of 2 socal regattas with boats traveling down up and down the coast again. We are looking at joining the October Fall Dinghy which would be better weather and warmer water, and would replace doing the Goblin regatta in Sta B which we haven't done anyway. We expect we should welcome back as StFYC has recently shown interest in our fleet and skiffs in general.
-TG
USA 1187
San Diego, CA

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Post by Shu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Brad brings up a good point. I think it is important for the race committee in a big conditions venue to "get" 14s. We don't want to be hanging around the starting line in 20 kts while they reset the weather mark for a 10 degree shift. Or to wait for our "correct" position in the start order once the fleet is back in the start area. Lots of boats will capsize, and most will be able to get back up again on their own; just keep an eye out for those that are struggling.

I would love to sail the city front. Not sure if my schedule will allow. I'm checking that I will go; please don't pound on me if I can't make it.
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183