historical question

Moderators: Shu, rand

ron breault
Boat Number: historical

historical question

Post by ron breault » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:43 pm

I am the webmaster of the Dolphin24.org website - a 1959 MORC 24' LOA centerboard sloop commissioned by George O'Day and designed by Sparkman & Stephens.

I recently found out that a previous owner of my boat (Marionette, hull #12), was an International 14 racer and contributed a chapter to a Stuart Walker book Techniques of Small Boats Racing. His name is Tom Marstrand. All of the chapters in the book were by International 14 racers, including 2 by George O'Day.

Bob Larson, George O'Day's financial guy, told me that some of the original investors were Int - 14 guys that he raced against up in Marblehead, MA in the 1950's - especially a couple from Texas. He also told me that he was with George at the London boat show 1957/1958? when George was trying to get his UK supplier (of Int 14s and other small wood boats) to build a fiberglass boat. Frustrated by their refusal, he stayed over after the show to meet with Uffa Fox - resulting in the O'Day Daysailer. Bob also told me of giving George $10,000 to buy a mill building in Fall River so Palmer Scott could move his Marscot Plastics there - to build the Daysailer and the Dolphin.

Also, Dyke Williams, who owns TRINA, raced International 14s. He wrote the 2004 Good Boat Magazine article Dolphins Galore. TRINA was the gene provider for the Dolphin 24. This is the 'birth certificate'. http://www.dolphin24.org/history_Birth_Certificate.html

Anyway, for me this is an interesting 'connection' - International 14s and the Dolphin 24

Can anyone recall/confirm any of this? Do you know of an Int 14 guy still with us who might talk with me about this. Thanks for any help.

Ron Breault
Old Lyme, CT

Shu
Boat Number: USA 1183

Re: historical question

Post by Shu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Ron. I'm John Shumaker's son, Steve. I'm sailing International 14s, and have in fact designed and built one that I am sailing now. So, the O'day/Yankee/Pacific Dolphin - I14 connection continues, though not to the same degree of success enjoyed by George O'day (so far). I've only been with the fleet for about 6 years, so I don't have any responses to your inquiries, but there are others here who can probably help. In the meantime, if you have a few hours to waste while waiting for replies, there is a thread here on the build of my boat under the General Forum. Try this link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=865

-Steve
Steve Shumaker
USA 1183

ron breault
Boat Number: historical

Re: historical question

Post by ron breault » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi Steve
Don't know where this effort will lead but the names on the jacket of this book are intimidating and bring still another racing class into the mix - Bob Bavier, Emil Mosbacher, Arthur Knapp, Jr. The 14 and the 12 meter were in rarefied air in the late 50's and the Dolphin was born then...
Regards to your dad
Ron