Chicago area I 14ers

Moderators: Shu, rand

ash13brook

Chicago area I 14ers

Post by ash13brook » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Are there any I 14ers in the Chicago area? Let's make that Northeastern Illinois /Northwestern Indiana/Southwestern Michigan.
I am a complete rookie and am looking for someone with some knowledge to take a look at what I have and give me a little advice on what, if anything, I might need to get my boat on the water.
I wouldn't mind a test ride, either in my boat or someone else's to sort of get an idea of how the boat operates.
I'm more than willing to bring my boat to wherever for the help.

Thanks,
Matt Ashbrook

JakeSkala

Re: Chicago area I 14ers

Post by JakeSkala » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Matt, We used to have 3 i14s out of Belmont and Corinthean but sadly everyone moved away 3 years ago. The remaining group is now near Minneapolis and Madison, WI. If you contact Robert at the MadisonSailingCenter and drive up there, I'm guessing he'd sort you out. I went there 2 weeks ago for a skiff outing and 3 boats went out. The group typically has a June regatta in Madison and July regatta on Lake Pepin and we plan to add another event next year. The old website was midwesthighperformancesailing.org but I think it expired. Best to contact madisonsailingcenter.com webmaster as Robert there will be posting regatta schedules and info or contact me. I have a B3 out of Minneapolis and will create a website for the midwest skiffs this winter. We have so few i14s we invite all forms of skiffs to the events. We did the Lukemia cup at Lake Carlyle a few years ago as there were 2 boats there around 2005-2006 but I don't the latest. If you contact me directly, I may be able help you out with your boat questions. What year is it and do you know the type and sail #? - Jake

ash13brook

Post by ash13brook » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 am

Thanks for your reply.
My boat is a '77. I think the sail number is 387, but I want to check again before I bet on it. I have to get the main out this weekend to measure it up for battens, so I'll check then.
I do have some pictures posted here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash13brook ... 705705260/

but could add more if you have something specific you need to see. I'll try and find some time to get up to Madison, too.

Thanks,
Matt

ians

Post by ians » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I'd like to play (carlyle, IL).
Last edited by ians on Tue May 15, 2012 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

justnnow

Post by justnnow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:52 am

If anyone would like to give me a ride It would be much appreciated.
I would love to get into i14's but Chicago seems to be a little light on them.

JakeSkala

Post by JakeSkala » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Justnnow,
There's a small group of i14s up in Madison, WI at the madisonsailingcenter.com. They are buoy racing every Friday night and some weekends. The big events for the MidwestSkiffSailing group are:

[ ] June 3-5 Madison skiff weekend
[ ] July 15-17 "8th Annual Madison Skiff Challenge"
[ ] Aug 13,14 LCYC Skiff Regatta on Lake Pepin

There are lot's of skiff boats in the group (4 i14s, 3 OD14, 2 Vectors, 29er + others) and we are always happy add interested sailors. If you contact the MadisonSailingCenter before you head up there, I'm sure they can set you up.

Jake Skala
USA1179

JakeSkala

Post by JakeSkala » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Matt, We plan to sail again this Friday Sep 16th and Sat Sep 17th at the Madison Sailing Center if you want to join us. We'll have skipper and crew openings.
Jake Skala